Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1343441.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:31:45.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Daventry (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 68892 78133


NASEBY CHURCH STREET SP67NE (East side) 5/157 Church of All Saints 02/11/54


Church. Early C13, C18 and C19. Coursed lias rubble and lias ashlar with slate roof. Aisled nave, chancel and west tower. Chancel of one-window range of 2-light windows. East window, 3 lights with intersecting tracery. Gabled roof. South aisle of 3-window range of 2-light windows with reticulated tracery. Lean-to roof with simple ashlar cornice and gable parapets. Gabled porch between windows one and 2 from left has C14 double chamfered arch with corbels. North aisle similar of 3-window range. Gabled porch between windows one and 2 from right has ashlar gable parapets with finial and 2 corbels, probably reset. Nave clerestory of 3-window range of 2-light square headed windows, gabled roof with simple ashlar cornice, gable parapet and finial. West tower probably C14, originally ashlar. Pairs of 2-light bell chamber openings with transoms to each face of upper stage. Clock immediately below on west face has moulded stone surround. Castellated ashlar parapet. Recessed spire by W. Slater 1859-60 in limestone ashlar has 3 tiers of lucarnes and crockets. Interior: Double chamfered chancel arch. Nave arcade of 4 bays of double chamfered pointed arches. 3 bays of south arcade are early C13 with quatrefoil piers and stiff leaf capitals with faces between leaves. North arcade is C14 with quatrefoil piers and double chamfered arches; the lower section of the piers has been replaced by a large plinth probably in C18, C19 roofs. Stained glass, south chancel 1872 by Lavers, Barraund and Westlake. Bellfry window by Clayton and Bell. Stained glass, also in south aisle. Monuments: Brass west end of north aisle, reset. John 01yver died 1446 and wife. Brass inscription and 2 indents opposite. Oval tablet above to Reverend John Mastic died 1805, East end of north aisle tablet with drapery to Richard Herbert died 1790. C17 table known as Cromwells table; reputedly from the now demolished Shukburgh House as used by the Kings Life Guards before the Battle of Naseby. Large copper ball in north aisle, reputedly holding 60 gallons of ale was brought from Boulogne in 1544 and was taken from stump of spire in 1780. Font, circular late C12, blank arcading with flower decoration. Stone coffin lid in belfry with traces of decoration,(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p. 309).

Listing NGR: SP6889278133


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 309


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/12582/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].