CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1343552.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 07-Mar-2021 at 02:36:02.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Daventry (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 56537 56792
5/77 Church of St. Mary
18/01/68 (Formerly listed as Church of
St. Mary the Virgin)
Church. C13, C14, C16, chancel rebuilt 1690. Coursed squared ironstone, coursed
ironstone rubble, some limestone dressings, lead roofs. Chancel, nave, north and
south aisles, south porch, west tower. East window has 3 lights and intersecting
tracery. To north side of chancel 4-light mullion window with hood-mould to
east, and similar 2-light window to west. To south side a 2-light mullion window
and datestone inscribed DK/1690 over blocked priests door, to west of which a
straight-headed low side window with hood-mould. North aisle has 2-light mullion
windows either side of narrow re-used north door with pointed double-chamfered
arch with hood-mould and label stops; west window with 4-centred arched head
blocked except for one light. South aisle has east window of 3 lights and
intersecting tracery with hood-mould, and a 3-light straight-headed window with
hood-mould to east of porch, a 2-light pointed window to west; small 1-light
round arched west window. South porch has double-chamfered door with hood-mould,
small 2-light pointed arch east window, chamfered plinth, coped gable and tile
roof. Many moulded pointed south door with hood mould and label stops.
Clerestory has four 3-light straight-headed windows north and south with
hood-moulds. Plain parapets to chancel, nave and aisles. 3 stage west tower has
2-light Decorated west window with hood-mould and label stops, niche above with
hodding ogee-head, crocketted gable and pinnacles, and 2-light belfry windows
with cusped Y-tracery and hood-moulds with label stops. Chamfered plinth, string
courses, diagonal buttresses to south-east and south-west corners, side
buttresses to north-east and north-west angles, and plain parapet with corbel
table. Interior: chancel has stained glass east window of 1866, and in side
windows C16 and C17 painted glass squares and roundels of continental origin,
and also armorial panels. Late C18 or early C19 Gothick communion table, rails
and clergy chairs. C18 stone and marble pavement. Nave has late medieval
tie-beam roof and 3-bay arcades with double chamfered arches, round columns and
octagonal capitals. Stone chequer floor with inset black marble tomb slabs and 2
C16 Purbeck marble slabs with brasses. Late C18 box pews incorporating C16
linenfold and tracery panels, other panels with Renaissance profile heads and
figurative scenes. C16 style hall pew in south aisle with tracery panels and
linenfold. C16 painted glass panels in aisle windows. Early C19 chamber organ
with keyboard supported on Greek Doric columns. In glass case in north-west
aisle window painted wood Commandments made to resemble open bible, hatchments
and painted Hanoverian Royal Arms in tower. Outstanding series of brasses, wall
monuments and tomb chest with effigies to members of Knightley family C16-C19.
(Buildings of England: Northants, p.213-4).
Listing NGR: SP5653756792
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 213-4
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing