PUBLIC LIBRARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1343641
Date first listed:
14-Mar-1975
Date of most recent amendment:
19-Jun-1985
Statutory Address:
PUBLIC LIBRARY, KENSINGTON

Map

Ordnance survey map of PUBLIC LIBRARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1343641.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 14:21:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
PUBLIC LIBRARY, KENSINGTON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Liverpool (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 36722 90952

Details

SJ 3690 KENSINGTON L7

28/672 Public Library (formerly listed under Kensington 14.3.75 Road)

- II

Library. 1889-90. Thomas Shelmerdine junior. Enlarged 1897. Brick with stone dressings, tile roof. One storey, 3 bays. Centre entrance of squat stone Ionic columns with carved lower drums, entablature with pulvinated, inscribed frieze flanked by stone round-headed architraved panels, that to right with inscribed tablet and semi-circular pediment, with open stone arcading across the top. Higher flanking wings, the left hand having large round-headed window with mullion and transom, small gable over, of 1897. The right hand wing having Venetian window and a curved Flemish gable and arcaded parapet; similar gable to right return, recessed corner with angle buttress between. Wooden lantern, octagonal 2 stages, with flying buttresses and dome ogival cupola. Interior has Ionic iron columns, octagonal lantern and segmental arched iron vaulting; and clerestory.

Listing NGR: SJ3672290952

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
214349
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/02750/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Frank Edge. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].