Church of St. Mary the Virgin

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1343934
Date first listed:
24-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Horsham Lane

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St. Mary the Virgin
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1343934.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:22:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Horsham Lane

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Swale (District Authority)
Parish:
Upchurch
National Grid Reference:
TQ 84368 67499

Details

TQ 86 NW 1/4

UPCHURCH HORSHAM LANE (north side) Church of St. Mary the Virgin

24.1.67

I Parish church. Chancel c.1300, nave and east chapels C14, restored 1875 by Blomfield. Flint and rubble, with plain tiled roofs and shingled spire. Chancel with north and south chapel, nave with aisles, west tower north and south porches.

Two stage battered tower with roll moulded and plain chamfered west doorway, and restored C15 Perpendicular west windows. Shingle spire of an eight sided cone placed over a pyramid, built 1915 after an explosion. South aisle with angle buttresses and offset porch with quatrefoiled oculi containing C14 glass. South chapel of rubble, east end of chancel flint and rubble, north chapel flint, with charnel cellar below, with restored geometric south east window, restored curvilinear east window with sexfoil and genuine C14 curvilinear north-east three light window with mouchettes. North aisle and north-east chapel with angle buttresses and three offset buttresses, with two large C14 windows, two light with quatrefoil over, and four smaller ones of similar pattern, with lean-to north porch.

Interior: unmoulded tower arch, with rounded corners projecting into nave containing stairs. Three bay nave arcade, octagonal piers with double chamfered arches, and three bay crown post roof with straight tie beams and solid knees on carved corbels. Nave and aisles with continuous wall seats. South aisle with C15 three bay cusped blind arcading and string course over. North-east corner of nave has exposed one shaft head c. 1300 and section of keel roll blind hollow chamfered nave arcade and chancel arch pre-dating C14 expansion of nave. Double hollow chamfered chancel arch on octagonal responds. Chancel of c.1300 with later C14 two bay arcades to chapels, roll moulded with hollow and plain chamfer on square piers with attached marble shafts at corners, and carved leaf capitals, with fragments of earlier blind arcading and string course with same mouldings as fragment in nave. Trussed rafter roof.

Fittings: ascending triple stone sedilia in chancel, with wooden backboard. Piscinas in chancel, south chapel, and north aisle and two paired aumbreys in chancel east wall and aumbrey with door in south chapel. C14 screen to south chapel, with solid plastered base, with square-headed lights, two with mouchettes. C14 cusped and ogee-headed recess in south chapel, with attached shafts. Medieval floor tiles survive at nave east end (ten rows) and in north chapel. C12 architectural fragment in north aisle, zig-zag and diaper mouldings.

Monuments: C14 wall tomb, on north chapel, a marble slab with crocketed and cusped ogee arch with two castellated pinnacles. Two brasses in north aisle, half-length man and woman (15 in), c.1350, originally with inscription in French.

Glass: in north aisle, roundel c.1300 of angel, with other C14 and C15 figures, and roundels in south porch. Fragmentary wall painting in south aisle.

Listing NGR: TQ8434667457

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
176207
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 482-483

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/00407/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr M.K Lofthouse. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].