MARTELLO TOWER NUMBER 25

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1344174
Date first listed:
23-Apr-1985
Date of most recent amendment:
25-Feb-1998
Statutory Address:
MARTELLO TOWER NUMBER 25, A259
Statutory Address:
MARTELLO TOWER NUMBER 25, DYMCHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MARTELLO TOWER NUMBER 25
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1344174.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jan-2020 at 18:20:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
MARTELLO TOWER NUMBER 25, A259
Statutory Address:
MARTELLO TOWER NUMBER 25, DYMCHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Shepway (District Authority)
Parish:
Dymchurch
National Grid Reference:
TR 10012 29036

Details

TR 100 290 DYMCHURCH DYMCHURCH ROAD A259, (East side) 437/4/53 Martello Tower, No.25

23.05.85 II

Martello Tower. 1806. Brick, covered in plain render. Circular, slightly tapering tower about 30 feet high. Walls said to be 51/2-6 feet thick. Renewed shallow domed roof surrounded by projecting cement-rendered coping. 2 small C20 casements, one to north and one to south, with cills about 12 feet up. 2 small ventilation grilles towards base. Vertical door with proud architrave and segmental head, with cill about 10 feet up, on west side. T-shaped recess below cill with surround continued from door architrave. Plaque over doorway. No external steps at time of re-survey. C20 door to ground floor. Interior gutted. One of a series of towers built in 1806 as gunposts against a possible Napoleonic invasion. Stands immediately behind sea wall. See High Street (east side) Martello Tower No.24 and Hythe Road (east side) Martello Tower No.23.

Listing NGR: TR1001229036

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
175511
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Feb 2005
Reference: IOE01/13756/36
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Keeble. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].