CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1344199
Date first listed:
29-Dec-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, RECTORY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1344199.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 18:03:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, RECTORY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Shepway (District Authority)
Parish:
Saltwood
National Grid Reference:
TR 15789 36007

Details

TR 13 NE SALTWOOD RECTORY LANE (East side)

4/67 Church of St. Peter 29.12.66 and St. Paul

GV II*

Parish church. Late C11 or C12, C13, C14, restored late C19. Thin slabs of roughly coursed stone. Plain tile roofs. West tower, nave, south porch, chancel, north vestry, north aisle. West Tower: C13. Two stages on rendered plinth, with battlements above chamfered string. Saddleback roof removed circa 1892. Belfry windows C19 in a C13 style. Three C19 chamfered round- headed windows towards base of south side. C19 west doorway. Nave: Late C11 or C12. No plinth. One buttress. Two C19 windows of two cinquefoil- headed lights. Narrow blocked round-headed window to east of porch. South Porch: C19. Timber-framed, on stone plinth. Restored late C11 or C12 inner doorway. Chancel: C14. One south and one north buttress. Diagonal south- east and north east buttress. Two C14 south windows; one of 2 cinquefoil- headed lights without overall architrave and one, restored, of 2 cusped ogee- headed lights with quatrefoil. Reticulated C14 east window. Two north windows as those to south. North Vestry: C19, on moulded plinth, with bargeboards to north. Unpierced. North Aisle: C19, with C13 origins. Gabled (formerly lean-to), with 3 north buttresses. C19 windows. C19 lean- to stone boilerhouse to west end with low adjacent turret dated 1873. Interior: Structure: C13 two-bay nave arcade of broad, lightly-chamfered pointed arches springing from chamfered imposts. Bar stops to end piers. Broad pointed, C14 chancel arch with plain and hollow chamfers and attached columns with bell capitals and bases. No tower arch. Double-shafted late C11 or C12 west doorway, visible from within tower, with scalloped capitals and moulded abaci. Roof: crown-post roof to nave of 3 moulded octagonal crown-posts on moulded tie-beams with solid brackets to pendant posts. Ashlar-pieces and trenched sous-laces. Fittings: restored scroll-moulded string to chancel. Moulded stone corbel with carved head to each side of east window. Pointed-arched beaded piscina to south-east end of north aisle. C15 octagonal dressed stone font with concave sides and shield. Late C13 wooden chest with 5 panels of blank geometrical bar tracery and beasts added to end panels. Royal Arms to north wall of north aisle, dated 1834. C19 box pews. Monuments: brass on chancel floor to John Verien, d.1370; half figure of a priest. Brass, also on chancel floor, to Anne Muston, d. 1496, with angel bearing her heart. Brass in north aisle to Thomas Brokhill, d. 1437, and wife; figures of knight and lady. Tablet on west wall of nave to Thomas Tourney, d. 1712, and others (last died 1788), moulded plinth on consoles, with moulded frieze, panelled pilasters and moulded triangular pediment, with urn, draped skull and shield. Similar tablet to Mary Tourney, d. early C19, and others, Tablet on north wall of north aisle, to Thomas Tourney, d. 1810, by T. King, Bath; white marble on gadrooned base, fluted borders and reeded cornice, surmounted by draped urn and shield on black marble gound. (J. Newman, B.0.E.Series, North-East and East Kent, 1983).

Listing NGR: TR1563836246

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
175645
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Jan 2005
Reference: IOE01/13750/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Jago. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].