This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1344574



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Langford Budville

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Jan-1956

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 270981

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


LANGFORD BUDVILLE CP ST12SW LANGFORD BUDVILLE VILLAGE 4/39 Churcn of St Peter 25.1.56 GV I Parish church. C15, tower early C16, south aisle early-mid C16, church restored 1846, north aisle added reusing north wall windows 1866, vestry and organ chamber added 1873, chancel redecorated tool. Squared and coursed red sandstone, Ham stone dressings, dado string, concrete tiles with slate roof to chancel, coped verges. Three-bay aisled nave, south chapel, south porch, north-east organ chamber with vestry, west tower and chancel. Three stage crenellated tower, set back buttresses, 2-light bell openings with Somerset tracery, clock face, string course, 3-light west window, moulded Tudor arch west doorway, C19 door, south-east crenellated stair turret; quatrefoil pierced parapet, with crocketed finials to south aisle, unlit west end, one 3-light window left of single storey gabled porch with quatrefoil pierced parapet, renewed crocketed finials, gargoyles and early C20 statue niche in Art Nouveau style with cross, pointed arch entrance,moulded with colonettes,diagonal buttresses, compartment ceiling.Perpendicular niche above moulded arch entrance, C19 door, two 3-light windows at east end, moulded 4-centred arch priest's door, 2-light window in south wall of diagonally buttressed chancel, 3-light east window, 2-light on north side, 3-light to organ chamber with tall chimney as clasping buttress, diagonal buttress to north aisle, 4 and 3-light windows, buttress between, 2-light west end. Interior: rendered. Three bay standard Perpendicular arcade, stylized leaf-band capitals in original south aisle with needle and thread carved on south-east capital, similar arch between chapel and chancel, C19 bean between south aisle and chapel, C19 Perpendicular style chancel arch, remains of imposts of earlier arch visible; chamfered 4-centred tower arch; C19 panelled arch to organ bay from north aisle. Piscina in south-east corner of chapel. Holy water stoup beside entrance. Roofs: chancel renewed ceiled barrel vault with bosses, nave plastered ribbed barrel vault with bosses and wall plate and ceilure at chancel end, C19 ribbed barrel vault, bosses and wallplate north aisle, similar with angels in south aisle. Perpendicular font on ornately carved base, possibly mid C16.Organ by Foster and Andrews of Hull, 1875. Collection of C19 stained glass including east window of south aisle to John de Haviland, died 1852. He emigrated to America where he introduced the concept of radiating prisons and had a successful career as a prison architect. Slate slab to an earlier John Haviland, died 1736. Others in nave including one with good lettering to William Crofts, vicar, died 1675. Oval marble tablet by T King of Bath with mourning figures by urn, William Parry Wade of Bindon House, died 1806. White marble on slate tablet by Pollard of Taunton to Robert Gardiner of Wellisford House,died 1842. Good aedicule monument, open pediment with coat of arms and putti, William Bacon died 1663, 1509 John Peryn of Wellington left three farthings towards the building of the tower. The north aisle was added at the expense of Henry Wade of Bindon House (qv) for his family's usage. Until 1863 Langford Budville was a chapelry of Milverton, and in 1930 Runnington was united with the benefice. (Photograph in NMR; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset,1958; McDermott,A History of St Peter's Church, Langford Budville, 1977).

Listing NGR: ST1116422938

Selected Sources

Books and journals
McDermott, , A History of St Peters Church Langford Budville, (1977)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 11163 22933


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1344574 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2017 at 12:09:04.

End of official listing