BURROW BRIDGE AT NGR ST 3075 3043

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1344608
Date first listed:
18-Dec-1986
Statutory Address:
BURROW BRIDGE AT NGR ST 3075 3043

Map

Ordnance survey map of BURROW BRIDGE AT NGR ST 3075 3043
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1344608.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 14:01:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
BURROW BRIDGE AT NGR ST 3075 3043

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Taunton Deane (District Authority)
Parish:
Burrowbridge
National Grid Reference:
ST 35744 30436

Details

ST3575 BURROWBRIDGE CP ST3043 BURROWBRIDGE VILLAGE

2/9 Burrow Bridge at NGR ST 3075 3043

GV II

Road bridge over River Parrett. Dated 1826, north parapet rebuilt mid C20. Probably designed by Philip Ilett of Taunton, contractor John Stone of Yarcombe. Squared and coursed granite, limestone voussoirs with V joints, granite saddleback coping, curved continuous block course of blue lias, north parapet steel railings. Single span elliptical arch with circular voids in the spandrels to enable the tidal waters of the river to pass through. Parapet swept back with 12 recessed blank panels facing river, on road front central inserted panel inscribed 'John Stone Builder Yarcombe 1826". At about 21 (68 feet) this is said to be the longest single span masonry road bridge in the county. Until 1945 this was a toll bridge.

Listing NGR: ST3574430436

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
271175
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/05954/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Michael Bass. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].