This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1344921



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Sedgemoor

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Nether Stowey

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Mar-1963

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Jun-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 268906

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



11/57 No 35 (Coleridge's Cottage) and No 37 (formerly listed as Coleridge's Cottage [National Trust]) 29.3.63

- II*

Two houses. No 35 with a C17 core, No 37 a contemporary byre, now house with much mid C19 alteration. Colourwashed render, plain pilaster to left side, wide eaves to left half, pantile roof; double Roman tile roof to right half with ridge at right angles to frontage; brick stacks. Two storeys, 2:1 bays, that to right set forward slightly, 12-pane sash windows, 16-pane sash window to ground floor of right bay; those to left 2 bays flush mounted. Two door openings, that to No 35 of 6 panels, hood on brackets; 9-panelled door to No 37 with transomlight. Decorative stone plaque with incised lettering to No 35 :- "HERE SAMUEL TAYLOR COLERIDGE MADE HIS HOME 1797-1800". Interior with exposed ceiling beams; some restored C18 features including cupboards and 2 fireplaces. Coleridge occupied the property 1797-1800 when it was in the ownership of Thomas Poole who occupied Tom Poole's House (qv). He composed many of his major works here including The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner, Kubla Khan, Cristabel (Part 1) and The Three Graves. References to the cottage are found in several poems, including To The Rev G Coleridge, lines 52-61; This Lime Tree Bower My Prison; Frost at Midnight; Fears in Solitude, lines 221-226.

Listing NGR: ST1910739857

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 19107 39857


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1344921 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2017 at 07:18:16.

End of official listing