CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1344942
Date first listed:
19-Sep-1972
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Nov-1995
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, ST GEORGE'S STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1344942.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 23:53:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, ST GEORGE'S STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Shrewsbury
National Grid Reference:
SJ 48747 13004

Details

SHREWSBURY

SJ4812NE ST GEORGE'S STREET 653-1/10/545 (South side) 19/09/72 Church of St George (Formerly Listed as: ST GEORGE'S PLACE Church of St George)

GV II

Church. 1832. By John Hiram Haycock. Ashlar facing over brick with Welsh slate roofs. In Commissioners' Gothic style. West tower, single-span roof over nave, short transepts and shallow chancel. 3-stage tower with doorway and lancet window over, each with hoodmoulds, clock in second stage, and paired lights to bell chamber above. Corbel table with gargoyles, embattled parapet with angle finials. Slight angle buttresses to tower and nave. 4 lancet lights to nave, and triple lancet lights in chancel east wall. INTERIOR: largely a single space, with shallow chancel. Oak panelled reredos and traceried plaster panels over. Hatchment on chancel north wall. Stained glass in east window by Davide Evans, depicting figures of saints. Abstract stained glass in transept windows. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire: Harmondsworth: 1858-).

Listing NGR: SJ4874713004

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
458025
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Feb 2007
Reference: IOE01/16223/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Taylor. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].