ORNAMENTAL BRIDGE WITH FLANKING HALF FIGURES AT NGR ST 2505 3395

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1344984
Date first listed:
09-Jan-1987
Statutory Address:
ORNAMENTAL BRIDGE WITH FLANKING HALF FIGURES AT NGR ST 2505 3395, HALSWELL PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of ORNAMENTAL BRIDGE WITH FLANKING HALF FIGURES AT NGR ST 2505 3395
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1344984.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2020 at 15:46:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
ORNAMENTAL BRIDGE WITH FLANKING HALF FIGURES AT NGR ST 2505 3395, HALSWELL PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Sedgemoor (District Authority)
Parish:
Goathurst
National Grid Reference:
ST 25035 33891

Details

ST23SE GOATHURST CP HALSWELL PARK

7/45 Ornamental bridge with flanking half-figures at NGR ST 2505 3395

II

Ornamental bridge with flanking half-figures. C18. Ashlar. Two semi- circular archways to each side of central projecting bow. Rear parapet of bridge raised up to form a shallow semi-circular headed niche, vermiculated key and imposts; to each side of this central feature a lower wall terminating with a statuesque female half-figure, one of which has fallen and lies nearby at time of re-survey (February 1985). Front parapet renewed in concrete block, mid C20. (Pevsner N., Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Country Life, Nov. 21, 1908; Collinson, Somerset I, 1791; VCH, Somerset II, 1911; Garden History, V, 3, 1977; Jones B., Follies and Grottoes, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST2503533891

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
269307
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Collinson, J, History and Antiquities of the County of Somerset, (1791)
Jones, B, Follies and Grottoes, (1974)
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1911)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
'Country Life' in 21 November, (1908)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 37 Somerset,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jul 2006
Reference: IOE01/15602/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John H. Sparkes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].