ABBOTS SHARPHAM SHARPHAM PARK FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1345069
Date first listed:
26-Nov-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
13-Jan-1986
Statutory Address:
ABBOTS SHARPHAM, SHARPHAM DROVE
Statutory Address:
SHARPHAM PARK FARMHOUSE, SHARPHAM DROVE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1345069.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2021 at 00:46:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
ABBOTS SHARPHAM, SHARPHAM DROVE
Statutory Address:
SHARPHAM PARK FARMHOUSE, SHARPHAM DROVE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Sharpham
National Grid Reference:
ST 46690 37428

Details

SHARPHAM CP SHARPHAM DROVE (West side) SHARPHAM PARK ST43NE Abbots Sharpham and Sharpham Park Farmhouse - (previously listed as Sharpham Park Farmhouse Street) 26.11.66

GV II*

(Marked on O.S. Map as Sharpham Park Farm). Monastic dwelling, subsequently a country house, later a farmhouse; now divided into 2 dwellings with an attached range of outbuildings. Probably C15, though some C16 and much C18 and C19 alteration. Coursed and squared rubble, predominantly roughcast to the entrance elevation, slate and pantile roofs in several sections of varying pitch, coped verges and copings at roof divisions; 2 pennants, one with cut lettering:- "D.G. 1733", the other:- "C.T. 1917". Irregular plan; 3 storeys and 2 storeys and attic stepped down to 2 storeys and again to a range of single-storey outbuildings, the whole forming an L-shaped entrance frontage; main part of 2:1:1:1:1 bays, outer bays stepped back from centre; 4, 12 and 16-pane sash windows with glazing bars; fifth bay with a three-quarter glazed door in a C18 stone doorcase with a triangular pediment. Principal door opening to fourth bay in a projecting gabled porch; restored dressed stone doorcase with a 4-centred head, slab hood on stone brackets, plank door with elaborate scrolled medieval hinges. Outbuilding wing to left with a 4-light moulded stone mullioned windows with iron stanchions; further 2 and 3-light casements. Rear elevation with some chamfered 2 and 3-light stone-mullioned windows, cast- iron casements with diamond-paned lights. Inset in the walls in various places are a number of carved freestone panels bearing heraldic devices and badges including a bishops mitre and a portcullis which may have been reused from a demolished chapel attached to the west side of the house. Interior of Sharpham Park Farmhouse with some exposed ceiling beams; interior of Abbots Sharpham with fireplace in a broad dressed stone surround, straight flight stairs with C17 balusters, 2 blocked diamond-mullioned windows, panelled room to first floor with a mixture of re-used C17 and C18 panelling including a stud and panel screen. The house where Richard Whiting, the last Abbot of Glastonbury, was arrested before his execution on Glastonbury Tor. Birthplace of Sir Edward Dyer (died 1607) an Elizabethan poet and courtier; and of the writer Henry Fielding (1707-1754). (Illustrated London News, August 24, 1850; VAG Report, unpublished SRO, August 1978, Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
267774
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
'Illustrated London News' in 24 August, (1850)
'Vernacular Architecture Group Report' in August, (1978)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].