WHITCHURCH FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1345104
Date first listed:
21-Sep-1960
Statutory Address:
WHITCHURCH FARMHOUSE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1345104.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2021 at 00:25:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
WHITCHURCH FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Ston Easton
National Grid Reference:
ST 63440 53553

Details

STON EASTON CP ST65SW - 4/29 Whitchurch Farmhouse 21.9.60 - II*

Prebendal house of Wells Cathedral; now farmhouse. Part of fabric may be as early as 1140 when a charter was issued by Bishop Robert of Bath; datestones: "G.C.D. 1613", and "H.G.E, 1633" mark alterations by the Prebendaries of that time; dairy wing added in conforming style in C17/Cl8; some windows renewed C20. Random rubble, coped verges, slate roofs, ashlar stacks. T-plan. Two storeys and attic, and 3 storeys, 1:1:1:1 bays, that to right blank in a projecting wing under a front facing gable; 2, 3 and 4-light moulded stone-mullioned windows, some with stopped labels, that to left of ground floor with a transom and above it a weathered string at first floor level; second bay in a projecting 2-storeyed gabled porch, 2-light stone-mullioned window to gable face; door opening in elaborate moulded 4-centred headed stone surround, carved spandrels, frieze with floral carving, cornice, inner doorway in a moulded stone frame, C17 traceried door. Interior with good C18 staircase; further lesser features. (V.A.G. report, unpublished S.R.O., April 1981; Reid R. D. Some Buildings of Mendip, 1979).

Listing NGR: ST6344053553

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
267966
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Reid, R D, Some Buildings of Mendip, (1979)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].