CHURCH OF ST VIGOR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1345110
Date first listed:
02-Jun-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST VIGOR, CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1345110.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Mar-2021 at 15:27:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST VIGOR, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Stratton on the Fosse
National Grid Reference:
ST 65927 50779

Details

STRATON-ON-THE-FOSSE CP CHURCH LANE (North side) ST65SE 13/181 Church of St. Vigor 2.6.61 GV I

Anglican Parish Church. Probably C12 origin, minor C14 work, much rebuilt C15/C16, further rebuilding late C18, restored C19. Random and coursed rubble, freestone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges, cruciform finial. Nave with a north aisle and a South porch, chancel, west tower; Perpendicular. Three stage tower, plain parapet, pinnacles, 2-light bell-chamber windows, each light with a semi-circular head, quatrefoil interlace; similar style west window. Three bay nave; south-west corner with carved heads of a former Norman corbel table; 3-light square-headed windows with labels. Elaborate gabled porch with 2-stage corner buttresses, gargoyles, moulded outer door opening, label stops carved as angels, above a canopied niche for a former statue; inside benched on flagstone floor, stoup, plain semi-circular head Norman inner doorway, traceried Perpendicular door. Chancel said to be rebuilt 1765, though 2-light east window with reticulated tracery re-used. North aisle known as Knatchbull Chapel rebuilt 1782, on medieval foundation; 3-light windows with intersecting tracery. Plastered interior on tile and flagstone floors; C18 plastered ceiling to nave with a cornice; similar though more elaborate ceiling to Knatchbull Chapel; chancel with C19 wagon roof. Chancel arch and 2 bay arcade to Knatchbull Chapel Perpendicular; squat tower arch, possible C12 though much rebuilt. Norman tub font; Perpendicular stone pulpit; C16 chest; remainder of fittings C19 including pews, choir stalls, altar rails and decalogue plaques. Many important monuments, mostly to Knatchbull Chapel; 6 slabs, particularly to William Long of 1658 with fine lettering and formerly with brass, now missing; 17 principal wall monuments to Knatchbull and Long families, some of very high quality with figures in relief by T. King of Bath. Royal Arms of 1805. C15 piscina; large quantity of medieval stained glass re-set in windows of Knatchbull Chapel. (Church Guide).

Listing NGR: ST6592750780

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
267993
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Church of St Vigor Church Guide

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Nov 2005
Reference: IOE01/14466/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert Hornyold-Strickland. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].