MENDIP HOSPITAL MAIN BUILDING

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1345148

Date first listed: 19-Dec-1990

Statutory Address: MENDIP HOSPITAL MAIN BUILDING

Map

Ordnance survey map of MENDIP HOSPITAL MAIN BUILDING
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1345148 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 11:44:15.

Location

Statutory Address: MENDIP HOSPITAL MAIN BUILDING

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Mendip (District Authority)

Parish: St. Cuthbert Out

National Grid Reference: ST 57095 46444

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 54 NE ST CUTHBERT OUT CP

11/94 Mendip Hospital (main building)

GV II

County Lunatic Asylum, now hospital. 1845-47. By G G Scott and W B Moffatt, works supervised by Richard Carver, for County Magistrates. Coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, slate roofs with ogee-shaped gables and finials, tall grouped ashlar stacks. In the style of a Tudor manor house; double E-shaped frontage approximately 280 m long, virtually symmetrical about the entrance block to the centre which carries the greatest enrichment, 2 long front facing wings each side. Two storeys, attics, 2, 3 and 4-light stone mullioned windows, each light with a casement, regular spacing of windows, some transomed, some labels, some bay windows. Entrance block with paired front facing gables, ashlar bell-cote to centre with mullioned and transomed openings, ogee-shaped cupola. Enriched central door opening, ashlar porch. Rear elevation much plainer and with some alteration. Attached chapel at rear (qv). Interior of interest. An important example of Scott's early institutional work; contract won in open competition; built by Kirk of Sleaford for £38,000. (Builder 1845; architects drawing at RIBA).

The asset was previously listed twice also under List entry 1238931. This entry was removed from the List on 29th May 2015.

Listing NGR: ST5709546444

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 268198

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing