SALES HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1345227
Date first listed:
20-May-1952
Statutory Address:
SALES HOUSE, DRAYCOTT ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1345227.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jun-2021 at 01:08:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
SALES HOUSE, DRAYCOTT ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Shepton Mallet
National Grid Reference:
ST 61702 43872

Details

ST6143 SHEPTON MALLET CP DRAYCOTT ROAD (South side)

6/103 Sales House

20.5.52

GV II

House, now flats. Dated 1769. Doulting ashlar, slate roof, ashlar stacks. Classical style, symmetrical facade. 3-storeys, 9-bays, 3:3:3, central 3-windows in angular bay raising through all floors supported on 3-semi-circular arches with imposts forming an open porch to main entrance. Semi- circular head door opening with radiating fanlight and 6-panelled door. Porch flanked by sashes with glazing bars in moulded architraves, similar treatment to first and second floor openings except first floor sills on moulded brackets with triangular pediment over central opening of each group of 3-windows. Moulded and dentil cornice surmounted by plain parapet with coping. 0rnamental rainwater head to left dated 1769. Projecting wing at right angles to facade, rendered, slate roof. 3-storeys, 8-bays, being 2-light stone mullioned windows, except at extreme right of wing where second floor has triple light window, venetian window below. Door opening having flat entablature on slender Tuscan columns. Once Convent of Visitation Nuns belonging to Order founded c1617 by St Francois de Sales. Community disbanded c1810.

Listing NGR: ST6170243872

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
266501
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Feb 2007
Reference: IOE01/16210/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].