CHURCH OF ST PHILIP AND ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1345373
Date first listed:
11-Mar-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PHILIP AND ST JAMES, VICARAGE LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1345373.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2021 at 23:29:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PHILIP AND ST JAMES, VICARAGE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Norton St. Philip
National Grid Reference:
ST 77217 55726

Details

ST7755 NORTON ST. PHILIP CP VICARAGE LANE (East side)

11/320 Church of St. Philip and St. James

11.3.68

GV II*

Church C14, C15. North aisle probably C17, considerably restored in 1847 by Sir George Gilbert Scott. Coursed rubble Doulting stone with upper sections of south and east elevations and north elevations in dressed stone, probably C19. Stone slate roofs with coped gables with finials and crosses. West Tower, South Porch, North and South Aisles and Chapels, and Chancel. The architectural style is unorthodox and somewhat eccentric though generally Perpendicular. Tower; 3 stages with embattled parapet and pinnacles. Stair turret on South east corner, corner buttresses. Across the buttresses on the west face, a quasi- porch, said to have been added in C17 and made up of fragments from the dismantled Hinton Priory. 4-centered moulded pointed arch, with a niche each side, to outer doorway. West window; 3-light with cusped heads under pointed arch with stopped dripmoulds. Then row of 3-niches with cusped heads then 3 niches with 3 small, blocked windows over, under a pointed, moulded arch with stopped dripmould. Similar arrangements on North and South sides of Tower. South Porch; C14, 2 centred, depressed single chamfered arch with carved stone heads, access door to spiral stair, waggon roof with carved bases. Nave, North and South Aisles; 3 bays, corner buttresses, Perpendicular 3-light windows with stopped dripmoulds. Interior; South arcade has square piers with demi-shafts with fillets, arches with convex-quadrant mouldings, bay 3 is wider. North arcade bays 1 and 3; panelled inside piers and arches; bay 2; C17, similar to South arcade, construction suggests reused components, possibly from Hinton Priory. Perpendicular tower arch with tierceron vault to tower ceiling. Perpendicular arches to to Chancel and Chancel Chapels. C19, hammer beam trussed roof with carved figures of angels, to Nave. C19, wagon roofs with ornamental bosses to North and South aisles. Stained glass C19. North and South Chancel windows by T. K. Wallis, East window by Christopher Webb. Over south door; wood hatchment, initialled CR, dated 1660. Font; octagonal, Perpendicular with quatrefoils and shields. C19 wrought iron gates to Chancel made in 1890, screens to North and South aisles, and to Tower arch erected 1886. Stone clergy stalls, marble revedos and alter. Monuments include; against south wall of South aisle;; Tomb, c1460, chest with quatrefoils, effigy of a merchant, under a cusped arch. At west end of nave; tablets including list of names and dates of monumental slabs moved during C19 reconstruction; bequest by Rachel Coles, 1770; and Elton and Fripp 1808; Fair Maids of Foscott and the visit to the church by Samuel Pepys, 1668; and a list of C18 members of the Rundell family. (SANHS, Proceedings Vol. 57, 1911; PE Lawless, The Church of St. Philip and St. James, undated).

Listing NGR: ST7721755726

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
267267
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Lawless, PE, The Church of St Philip and St James Guide
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, (1911)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/15185/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Graham G. G. Warren. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].