LANGHAM HOUSE AND ATTACHED STABLES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1345390
Date first listed:
11-Mar-1968
Statutory Address:
LANGHAM HOUSE AND ATTACHED STABLES, RODE HILL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1345390.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2021 at 00:28:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
LANGHAM HOUSE AND ATTACHED STABLES, RODE HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Rode
National Grid Reference:
ST 80452 54238

Details

ST8054 RODE CP RODE HILL (North side)

12/411 Langham House and attached stables

11.3.68

GV II*

Country House. Reputedly 1792 by T Baldwin for William Lydyard addition of 1810. Ashlar, moulded cornice, balustraded parapet with coping, stone urns at the angles, hipped slate roof, 2 low ashlar stacks with moulded caps. Classical. 3 storeys 5 bays, sash windows with glazing bars, those to ground floor with semi- circular heads in shallow arched recesses; plain stone band at second floor level, moulded string below cornice, impost band with interlacement decoration to ground floor. Central door opening, 6-panelled door, fanlight with decorative glazing bars; stone portico with flat entablature of 4 Tuscan columns, Tuscan pilasters to wall. Single storey wing of 3 bays to right by Adam, tall French windows with glazing bars and marginal lights, moulded cornice, baluster parapet with corner urn, hipped slate roof. Single storey, 3-bay semi-circular bow window to rear elevation, sash windows with glazing bars, balustraded parapet, corner urns. Attached stables to rear of right return, hipped slate roof, 2 broad segmental headed openings to ground floor, plank door, above 2 glazed pitching eyes. Complete late C18 interior entered through a hall flanked by 2 Tuscan columns; most of the ground floor rooms with plaster friezes and cornices, the finest in the dining room, most fireplaces also remain. In 1860 the house achieved notoriety as the scene of the mysterious murder of 3 year old Francis Savill Kent. At that time it was known as Road Hill House, the name subsequently changed because of the attention the murder attracted. (Yseult Bridges, Saint with Red Hands, Jarrolds, 1954; Bernard Taylor, Cruelly Murdered, Souvenir Press, 1979).

Listing NGR: ST8045254238

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
267358
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Taylor, B, Cruelly Murdered, (1979)
Yseult, B, Saint With Red Hands, (1954)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].