This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1345500



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Frome

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 22-Jul-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 16-Feb-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 266245

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


1. 5363 MARKET PLACE (South-east side) GV ST 7748 SE 5/3 22.7.49 The Blue House (formerly listed as The Bluecoat School and Almshouses) 2. 1726. Built as a Bluecoat School with flanking almshouses (see statues of "Nancy Guy" and "Billy Ball" on facade). Central 2½ storey block with hipped roof and flanking 3½ storey blocks. Central break in ashlar with plinth, chamfered quoins and coved moulded cornice; large panelled doors with architrave and brackets to pediment broken to accommodate repaired statue of Bluecoat Boy ("Billy Ball"). 2 ranges of large round headed windows in architraves. Niche over door contains statue of old parishoner ("Nancy Guy") possibly a replica. 2 segmental headed dormers; central clock turret with arcade, pilasters and bell shaped lead roof. Each wing is of 3 bays with paired windows; coursed rubble with ashlar eaves and cornice, quoins, bands over floors, and plain architraves. Large chimney breaks forward in each wing. 2 gabled dormers to each wing. Rear: chimneys stunted and windows of centre altered to 3 light flat mullion types, flanking central stack. Interior: Original plain stairs to each wing with heavy hand rail and turned balusters Flanking front door, are 2 recently 'cleaned' statues of Charity Girls (circa 1803) from the demolished Keyford Asylum.

Listing NGR: ST7774448109

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 77744 48109


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1345500 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2017 at 04:23:22.

End of official listing