Frome Station (main building)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1345526
Date first listed:
18-Apr-1973
Statutory Address:
Frome Station (main building), Portway

Map

Ordnance survey map of Frome Station (main building)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1345526.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 23:29:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
Frome Station (main building), Portway

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Frome
National Grid Reference:
ST 78452 47602

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17/08/2018

ST 7847 13/210

PORTWAY Frome Station (main building)

18.04.73

II Circa 1850. Designed by J.R Hannaford. All wood construction. Train shed covering both tracks. Aisled, with wooden posts and ceiling. Corrugated iron roof with full length glazed vent. Offices on upside. Single storey with seven wooden casements, two and three light. Original bracketted canopy over entrance. Hipped corrugated iron roof with red brick stacks.

Largely unaltered example of a small station of the period and probably the last through train shed of its type in use on the Western Region. The line was constructed by the Wiltshire, Somerset and Weymouth Railway and opened 9 September 1850 having been previously taken over by the Great Western Railway.

Listing NGR: ST7845247602

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
266286
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/05773/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr G F J Russell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].