THE HOOD ARMS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1345687
Date first listed:
22-May-1969
Date of most recent amendment:
16-Nov-1984
Statutory Address:
THE HOOD ARMS

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1345687.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2020 at 20:12:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE HOOD ARMS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Somerset West and Taunton (District Authority)
Parish:
Kilve
National Grid Reference:
ST 14903 42916

Details

ST14SW KILVE CP The Hood Arms 5/113 (previously listed as The Hood Arms Hotel) 22.5.69 GV II

Inn. C17, enlarged early C19. Render grooved as ashlar over rubble, slate roofs overhanging eaves, soffit boards on right hand earlier block, lower independently roofed left block, decorative ridge tiles, brick stacks. 2-storeys, 4:6 bays; 12 panes sash windows first floor, groundfloor left block only a square leaded carriageway entrance, to right 16 pane sash window and tripartite sash window flanking entrance, C20 window and two 8 pane sash windows in outer bays flanking second entrance. C20 plank doors with C20 lean-to slate roofed, rendered porches open on right returns with C20 glazing bar windows. Extensively altered internally. There was an inn at Kilve 1689, and another in 1736; this was called the Chough and Anchor 1822-7 and by 1841 the Hood Arms. (VCH Somerset, Vol. 5 forthcoming; photograph in NMR).

Listing NGR: ST1490342916

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
265162
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08505/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Robins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].