CHURCH OF SAINT MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1345709
Date first listed:
22-May-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT MARY, SEA LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1345709.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2020 at 20:03:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT MARY, SEA LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Somerset West and Taunton (District Authority)
Parish:
Kilve
National Grid Reference:
ST 14671 43942

Details

ST14SW KILVE CP SEA LANE (West side)

5/121 Church of Saint Mary

22.5.69

GV II*

Parish church C14, rest C15, though tower might be 1636, vestry 1876, church restored 1913. B1ue lias random rubble, slate roofs, coped verges. Tall C19 stack to left of porch (blocked internally). 2 bay nave, one bay gabled projection South East corner, chancel, vestry, South porch, West tower. Short 2 stage crenellated tower, diagonal stepped buttresses rising to string course, lancet window South front, squared louvred bell opening, eroded 2-light hollow chamfered mullioned West window, remains of square hood mould, inset plaque above '16-- WS AS ; stair turret North East corner. South front small 2-light cinqufoil headed mullioned window, renewed C19, set just below eaves to left of gabled porch, chamfered arched opening, chamfered 4- centred arch doorway, C19 door; to right 2-light mullioned window under hood mould abutting gabled projection with arched 2-light window, string course below; chancel 2-light cinquefoil ogee leaded mullioned window to left of ogee leaded priests door, 3-light East window, East door to vestry, North front C19 4-light chamfered mullioned window, two 2-light cinquefoil headed mullioned windows under hood mantels with reset medieval carved faces as terminal bosses. Interior: rendered, C15 ribbed and plastered barrel vault to chancel, nave roof partially renewed C19 with original wall plate and bosses, C14 chancel arch, steeply chamfered arch with inset chamfered arch between chancel and vestry, latter added in memory of William Greswell on site of earlier building formerly linked to chancel by arcade. Tower arch early C20. Pulpit lit by gabled projection blocked below with ogee headed blocked niche on East side in rear arch of adjoining window. Remains of one bay of screen in tower; alter rails early C18 baluster type; C12 font, cable moulded base; Royal Coat of Arms 1660, restoredi fine slate memorial stone to John Cunditt, died 1690 set in marble aediante on South wall; wooden wall tablet to Cunditt sisters Dorothy and Elizabeth, died 1723 and 1739. Chancel originally longer, containing choir for chantry priests who lived to the North in the buildings now known as Priory Cottage, Chantry Cottage and The Chantry (qv). Until 1636 the bells were housed in a separate thatched structure, but it seems unlikely that all the tower is as late as this would suggest. (Photograph in NMR; VCH Somerset, Vol 5 forthcoming).

Listing NGR: ST1467143942

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
265170
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15466/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].