CHURCH OF SAINT ETHELBURGH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1346278

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Jul-1985

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT ETHELBURGH

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT ETHELBURGH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1346278 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 03:41:35.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT ETHELBURGH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Millington

National Grid Reference: SE 81332 53879

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 85 SW MILLINGTON GREAT GIVENDALE

5/11 Church of Saint Ethelburgh 26.1.67 (Formerly listed as Church of St. Ethelburga under General)

II*

Church. Rebuilt 1849, using old materials, by W H Dykes. Ashlar, slate roof. Nave with twin bellcote, chancel. Nave has pointed 2-light window with C19 tracery in Curvilinear style. Pointed double-chamfered south door. Buttresses with offsets mark position of chancel arch. Chancel: C13 low- side window with trefoil head, beneath trefoil-headed lancet, to west, pointed window with Y-tracery under hood-mould to east. Pointed east window of 3 lights with intersecting tracery under hood-mould. Interior: mid C13 stoup to west of south door. lid C12 chancel arch of 3 orders with attached shafts and scalloped capitals carved with interlaced foliage and human faces supporting round arch of 2 outer square orders with chevrons and inner order with deep roll-mouldings. Trefoil headed sedilium and trefoil-headed piscina to south wall of chancel. Brass wall-memorial with inscription, in Latin, to George Jackson, died 1641, on north wall of chancel; on south wall, tablet to Sir Jonathan Atkins (died 1702 aged 99), his son John Atkins (died 1732, aged 79) and his sister Jane Atkins (died 1761, aged 100).

Listing NGR: SE8133253879

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 166979

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing