CHURCH OF ST. HELEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1346280
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. HELEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST. HELEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1346280.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:12:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. HELEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Nunburnholme
National Grid Reference:
SE 82691 49814

Details

SE 84 NW NUNBURNHOLME KILNWICK PERCY

10/21 Church of St. Helen

26.1.67

GV II

Church. C12 origins, rebuilt by J.B. and W. Atkinson in 1865. Ornate Norman Style. Sandstone ashlar with limestone dressings. 5-bay nave with north porch and west bellcote, 2-bay chancel. Nave: chamfered plinth, round-headed windows with nook-shafts, scallop capitals, and chevron ornament. Rebuilt C12 north door of 3 orders with nook shafts, deep roll-moulding to centre order, and chevron ornament to outer order. Corbel table incorporating original corbels carved into beast and human heads. North porch: doorway with nook shafts and capitals with volutes (2 original) supporting round arch of 3 orders decorated with arcading, beak head, and chevron ornament. Chancel: round-headed window with nook-shafts and roll-moulding to head. Similar round-headed priests' door in projecting porch with corbelled-in roof. Interior contains wall-monument with black-letter inscription to Thomas Wood, died 1583

Listing NGR: SE8269149814

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
166989
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/16817/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les Waby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].