CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1346407
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, LOW CATTON

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1346407.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 14:56:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, LOW CATTON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Catton
National Grid Reference:
SE 70480 53990

Details

CATTON LOW CATTON SE 75 SW

1/23 Church of All Saints 26.1.67

GV I

Church. C12 origins; C13 north and south aisles, C15 south-west tower, chancel 1866 by G E Street, C19 south porch. 3-stage south-west tower, 4-bay aisled nave with north transept and south porch, 3-bay chancel with north vestry. South-west tower: plinth with diagonal buttresses with offsets, slit window to second stage, 2-light pointed belfry openings with Perpendicular tracery under hood-mould, crenellated parapet with corner finials. Nave: plinth, buttresses with offsets. 2-light square headed windows with Perpendicular tracery. Pointed chamfered south door under hollow-moulded order on nook-shafts with nail-head. Boarded wooden door. 2-light pointed west window with cusped Y-tracery. Raised coped gables. Chancel: moulded plinth, buttresses with offsets, scroll-moulded stepped string. Three 2-light pointed windows with plate tracery under hood-moulds. Pointed chamfered priest's door under hood-mould: above that a small blank pointed window with hood-mould. Pointed 3-light east window with curvilinear tracery under hood-mould with foliage stops. Raised coped gable with flory cross finial. North transept has small round-headed slit window with continuous chamfer to west, pointed window with Y-tracery to the north, and 3-light square-headed window with Perpendicular tracery to east. Low- pitch coped gable. Interior: pointed east door with continuous broad chamfer to tower chamber, pointed double-chamfered north tower arch on moulded capitals and demi-octagonal responds. C13 north arcade of pointed double-chamfered arches on cylindrical, quatrefoil and square piers (the latter with attached filleted shafts) on moulded bases. The easternmost arch is C12 (to former transept) and of 2 chamfered round orders. East respond decorated with water-leaf. South arcade of 3 pointed double- chamfered arches on octagonal capitals and piers and moulded bases. Chancel: fine east window: 1866 by William Morris. Central panel of Crucifixion with mourning saints and Virgin to right and left; scenes from the nativity of Christ in separate panels below. C13 goblet-shaped font. Memorial in south aisle to Thomas Robinson and his brother, died 1835: the former murdered by a poacher, the latter killed by his own gun. Brass memorial tablet with inscription to Thomas Tryll, died 1591, in north aisle. Lying in a disused tomb recess in the chancel is a small stone, recently excavated from the churchyard, bearing the strange carving of a man with a long pointed beard -presumably intended to be Christ.

Listing NGR: SE7047853990

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
167642
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/07340/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les Waby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].