BURTON AGNES HALL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- BURTON AGNES HALL, MAIN STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1346451.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 26-Feb-2020 at 11:18:39.
- Statutory Address:
- BURTON AGNES HALL, MAIN STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
- Burton Agnes
- National Grid Reference:
- TA 10290 63273
BURTON AGNES MAIN STREET
(north side, off)
11/15 Burton Agnes Hall
Country house. c1601-10, dated "HF 1601" above door, "1602" on porch, "ANO 1602" and "ANO 1603" on rainwater heads, probably by Robert Smythson for Sir Henry Griffith, with later additions and alterations including those of c1730 for Sir Griffith Boynton, 5th Bart, and mid-late C20 restorations for Marcus Wickham-Boynton by Francis Johnson. Pinkish-orange brick in English bond with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof. Approximately square on plan with inner courtyard. South front: 3 storeys with attics to gables, 8 bays: bays 3 and 6 project slightly; bays 1 and 8 project further and are gabled and have 3-storey bow windows; bays 4 and 5 share a gable. Moulded ashlar plinth. Quoins. Flight of 5 steps across 2 central bays, with goats carrying shields on plinths to ends. Entrance to inner return of third bay a C17 studded panelled door with massive bronze knocker within full-height ashlar architrave. Architrave of panels of strapwork decoration between fluted columns with Ionic capitals on pedestals supporting frieze and moulded cornice at first-floor level. To first floor are fluted columns with Corinthian capitals on pedestals, with heraldic band between and plaque with family motto, frieze with guilloche moulding, cornice. Second floor has order of composite capitals on pedestals with Elizabethan coat of arms between, guilloche frieze, moulded cornice surmounted by strapwork cresting. To facing return of sixth bay a balancing ashlar decoration to full height in more Classical style with niches containing statues to each floor, and surmounted by similar cresting. Bays 1 and 8 have rounded 10-light ovolo- moulded mullion-and-transom bay windows to each storey surmounted by balconies with fluted balustrades. Gables have casement windows within ashlar architraves. Otherwise ground floor has full-height 24-pane sashes in moulded architraves with hoodmoulds which break continuous moulded first- floor string course, except to second bay which has 4-light ovolo-moulded mullion window with 6-pane casements. First floor: second and seventh bay have 24-pane sashes otherwise central bays have 8-pane fixed lights, all within tooled ashlar architraves. Continuous moulded first-floor string course. Second floor has unequally-hung 20-pane sashes in moulded architraves to 6 centre bays. Continuous moulded second-floor string course. To centre a gable containing 12-pane fixed-light casement window in tooled ashlar architrave. Battlements to second and seventh bays. Ashlar copings and finials. Strapwork cresting to bays 3 and 6. Groups of 3 star- shaped stacks to inner returns of bays 1 and 8, similar side and rear stacks. Rear (north facade): 2 storeys with attics, 5 bays of which bays 1, 3 and 5 project and all but centre bay have gables. Quoins. Ground floor has 6-, 5-, 3-, 5- and 6-light mullion-and-transom windows within double- chamfered surrounds. First-floor band. Mainly 12-pane sashes to first floor with one casement window, all within ovolo-moulded, double-chamfered architraves. Attics have 3-light, ovolo-moulded, double-chamfered mullion windows under hoodmoulds with quoined jambs. Battlements. Ashlar copings. West facade: irregular facade of 2 storeys with attics to gables and 7 bays, of which third and fifth project slightly. Northern bay has a 6-sided canted bay and southern bay has 5-sided, 3-storey bay window. Quoins. Entrance a 6-fielded-panel door within tooled surround. Ground floor has 4-, 3-, 5-, 4- and 2-light mullion-and-transom windows. 2-light mullion window to northern canted bay and 3-light mullion window above door. 10- light double-chamfered ovolo-moulded mullion and transom windows to each floor of southern bay. Moulded first-floor string course. First floor: sixth bay has 8-light mullion-and-transom window within ovolo-moulded, double-chamfered surround. Otherwise long 12- and 18-pane sashes in double- chamfered architraves. Second-floor string course. 3-light mullion window to first bay. To sixth bay a Venetian window, the centre a 35-pane unequally-hung sash with radial glazing to head and long 12-pane sashes to sides. Architrave has Ionic pilasters. Ashlar copings. Star stacks. East facade: 2- and 3-storeys with attics, 10 bays, the southernmost a 5-sided, 3-storey bay, the northernmost a 2-storey canted bay. Garden entrance to sixth bay: steps to glazed door with overlight in bolection-moulded, eared architrave. South bay, canted,with 10-light, double-chamfered, ovolo-moulded mullion-and-transom windows to each floor. North bay has 8-light double- chamfered ovolo-moulded mullion-and-transom windows to both floors. Otherwise ground and first floors have 18-pane sashes within moulded architraves. Continuous hoodmoulds. To third floor a Venetian window complementing that to west facade. Attics have 2- and 3-light mullion windows in ovolo-moulded, double-chamfered surrounds under hoodmoulds. Battlements. Ashlar copings, star-shaped stacks. Interior retains many C17 and C18 features including Great Hall with magnificent Elizabethan plaster screen with biblical, allegorical and mythological figures, dated 1603, elaborately carved oak panelling, also a massive alabaster chimney-piece carved with the Wise and Foolish Virgins and incorporating the arms of Sir Thomas Boynton and his 3 wives, this latter brought from the now demolished Barmston Hall. Ceiling plasterwork c1720-30. Drawing room has Elizabethan oak panelling carved with decorative blind arches between pilasters, strapwork frieze, overmantel has allegorical Dance of Death; early C18 ceiling. Chinese Room has wall covered in laquer panels c1700 and brought in c1732; Rococo pine chimney-piece installed late C20. Dining room has early C17 chimney-piece, overmantel with Virtues and Vices from Long Gallery and early C18 cornice. Inner hall has carved Elizabethan panelling; continuous newel staircase with newel posts linked by a series of elaborately carved arches, bobbin balusters. First floor has early-mid C18 panelled drawing room. King's State Bedroom has carved panelling and ribbed stucco ceiling c1603 and Queen's State Bedroom has panelling following a geometrical pattern taken from Serlio, chimney-piece and overmantel with allegorical figures of Patience, Truth, Constance and Victory dated 12 July 1610, stucco ceiling decorated with intertwining leaf and flower patterns. Justice's Room has painted linenfold panelling c1530 with portrait medallions from Kilnwick Hall, Driffield (demolished 1951) and previously at Leconfield Castle, Beverley. To second floor a long gallery restored by Francis Johnson, 1974. West wing (not fully inspected) has further early C17 panelled rooms, some with overmantels carved with allegorical figures, and with decorative plaster ceilings. Some rooms have linenfold panelling, others have early C18 bolection-moulded panelling. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, York and the East Riding, 1978, pp 207-210. Girouard M, Robert Smythson and The Elizabethan Country House, 1985, pp 169, 185-8. Arthur Oswald, Burton Agnes Hall, Yorkshire, I, II, III", Country Life, 6 June 1953, pp 1804-7; 11 June 1953, pp 1886-9; 18 June 1953, pp 1972-5.
Listing NGR: TA1027763265
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Girouard, M, Robert Smythson and the Elizabethan Country House, (1983), 169, 185-8
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972), 207-210
'Country Life' in 18 June, (1953), 1972-5
'Country Life' in 11 June, (1953), 1886-9
'Country Life' in 6 June, (1953), 1804-7
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing