This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1346518



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: North Lincolnshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Cadney

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Jan-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 166004

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TA 00 SW CADNEY BRIGG ROAD (west side, off)

11/44 Newstead Priory Farmhouse and screen wall adjoining 19.10.51 to left (formerly listed as Farmhouse incorporating remains of Newstead Priory)


Farmhouse and adjoining screen wall, incorporating former monastic range of Gilbertine Priory and re-using medieval masonry. C12-C13 undercroft with C15-C16 first-floor section, extended and converted to house in early C19 for Yarborough Estate. Later C19 bay windows and extensions to right and rear. Main range of squared limestone and rubble with ashlar dressings, rendered to front and part of left return; rear extension in coursed limestone rubble with brick dressings; right extension rendered; brick stacks. Westmorland slate roof to main range, Welsh slate roof to bay windows and later extensions. Plan: 2-room central-entrance hall east front, with vaulted undercroft of 2 by 2 bays forming ground-floor left room, former entrance hall now opened out to ground-floor right room, stairs to rear; double-depth kitchen/lobby extension to right, single-room extension to rear. East front: 2 storeys, 4 first-floor windows; single- window extension set back to right, single-bay screen wall to left. Chamfered plinth. Round-arched entrance to right of centre with recessed half-glazed panelled door and plain overlight, flanked by single ground- floor canted bay windows to each side with sills, plate-glass sashes and moulded cornices. C20 casement to right extension. Round-headed first- floor sashes in flush wooden architraves with glazing bars and sills. Moulded wooden eaves board. Stone-coped gables with shaped kneelers. Central axial stack and end stack to right with dentilled cornices. Double- span roof to extension with coped gables, shaped kneelers and corniced end stacks. Screen wall forms continuation of front: plinth, round-headed coved niche, ashlar coping ramped down to left between piers with ashlar ball finials. Rear: ashlar quoins to main range, brick quoins to wing. Main range has steps down to half-glazed 2-fold door beneath timber lintel, and C16 3-light first-floor painted ashlar window with 4-centred arch lights, moulded mullions and C19 glazing bars, beneath hood-mould with carved bust stops. 16-pane sash to wing in flush wooden architrave and brick surround with segmental arch containing re-set medieval carved stone head. Right return, main range: central ground-floor round-headed window with 12-pane sliding sash flanked by 12-pane sliding sash and C20 casement; central first-floor 16-pane sash. Interior. Quadripartite vaulting to ground floor left has plastered rubble ceiling and chamfered ashlar round-arched ribs with diamond stops, supported on moulded corbels and central octagonal pier (perhaps a later replacement) with a moulded capital. A second, plastered, pier to the east, supporting an extension of the vaulting into the bay window, is probably a C19 insertion incorporating an original corbel. Former square-headed doorway to south wall, now a window. Remains of arch in north wall revealed in alterations to door from ground floor right to kitchen. C19 features include: wall cupboard to ground floor left with geometrical glazing, elliptical-arched recesses to ground floor right with archivolts and scrolled consoles, similar arch to entrance passage. Newstead-on Ancholme Priory, founded before 1164, was dissolved in 1538. Nattes' drawing shows a second 3-light first-floor north window which may have been removed in C19, or blocked and obscured by rear wing. The surviving medieval structure is variously interpreted as refectory or chapter house. An impressive adjoining C12 round-arched doorway was removed to Brocklesby Park soon after 1812 (probably when house was built) and subsequently lost. Drawing by C Nattes, 1795, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library; C L Exley, "Newstead-on-Ancholme Priory", Lincolnshire Magazine, Vol 1, No 11, (May-June 1934) p 348; N Loughlin and K R Miller, A Survey of Archaeological Sites in Humberside, 1979, p 195.

Listing NGR: TA0000404460

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Loughlin, N, Miller, K, Survey of Archaeological Sites in Humberside, (1979), 195
'Lincolnshire Magazine' in Lincolnshire Magazine, , Vol. 1, (1934), 348

National Grid Reference: TA 00008 04457


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1346518 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2017 at 11:07:12.

End of official listing