CHURCH OF ST OSWALD
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, CHURCH STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1346672.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 04:05:21.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, CHURCH STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SE 77153 12985
SE 7612-7712 CROWLE CHURCH STREET
17/40 Church of St Oswald 1.3.67
Parish church. C12 nave south and west walls and doorway, chancel north wall; C13 chancel arch, lower section of tower, and responds and portions of outer arches of north arcade; C14-C15 nave south windows; C15 north aisle, clerestory and upper stage of tower; C15-C16 arch to north chapel. Nave re- roofed 1785, north aisle taken down 1792. Chancel partially rebuilt 1856; restorations of 1884 by A S Ellis of London, including rebuilding north arcade and north aisle; south porch rebuilt c1900. Limestone ashlar, with rock-faced ashlar to south porch; ashlar dressings. Lead roof to north aisle, Westmorland slate roof to nave, Welsh slate roofs to chancel and south porch. West tower with rectangular staircase projection to north-east angle, 4-bay nave with north aisle and south porch, 3-bay chancel with 2-bay north chapel. 3-stage tower: chamfered plinth, string courses between stepped-in stages. First stage has pointed chamfered south door with string course at impost level; pointed 2-light west window with central mullion missing, moulded reveal with 2 keeled orders, the outer shafted, and an inner hollow-moulded surround with carved fleurons; poor C20 rendered repairs and glazing. Stair turret to first stage has offsets and slit lights. Second stage: chamfered slit light and small round window in square chamfered reveal to west, slit light to south. Upper stage: pointed 2-light belfry openings with foiled Y tracery and hoodmoulds. Moulded string course, plain coped parapet with original pinnacle bases to angles and centres of each side, carrying heavy C19-C20 square angle piers. Clock face to east. Nave: south side has C15-C16 square-headed 3-light window with partly restored Perpendicular tracery, and pair of pointed 3-light Perpendicular traceried windows, that to right restored, that to left a C19 copy. Above, a complete C12 corbel table with carved heads, etc, much worn. Stepped-in clerestory has buttresses between bays, 3 round-headed 2-light windows with cinquefoiled Y tracery, hollow-moulded reveals and hoodmoulds; moulded string course with 2 gargoyles to south, 3 to north, coped parapet with restored pinnacle to north-east angle, stump of pinnacle to centre north, remainder truncated. Roof hipped to east. South porch: pointed moulded outer arch dying into chamfered jambs, hoodmould, string course and coped embattled gable parapet; fine C12 inner round arch of 4 orders, the inner 3 shafted, with capitals bearing scalloped, spiral and carved roundel ornament, and the arch with incised lattice moulding to the outer order, another with chevrons and various pellets (some with faces), and 2 roll- moulded orders. C17 double doors with moulded ribs and iron studs, some diamond-headed. North aisle: plain plinth, C19 pointed 2-light windows with Perpendicular tracery, hoodmoulds and plain stops. Chancel: chamfered plinth, angle buttresses and buttresses between bays with offsets; sill string course; south side has restored central pointed double-chamfered door, C19 lancets with hoodmoulds; similar stepped triple lancets to east; coped gable with cross finial. North chapel: chamfered plinth, single north buttress; pair of C19 pointed north doors, one chamfered, the other moulded, both with hoodmoulds; C19 pointed 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery, hoodmould and plain stops, small triple east lancets with hoodmoulds. Interior. Tall narrow round-headed C12 tower arch (former nave west door) with heavy lintel at impost level and incised lattice decoration to tympanum on west side (the lintel an 1884 replacement of C11 decorated stone, see below); C17 door with trefoiled panels and iron studs. Square-headed chamfered doorway to stair turret with oak board door. Nave arcade of largely restored pointed arches with outer chamfered order, inner keeled order and rounded demi-order between, on original keeled responds with moulded capitals and restored octagonal bases, and restored cylindrical piers with moulded capitals and bases; moulded string course above. Pointed chancel arch with similar mouldings to nave arcade, but with a filleted inner order, on responds with the outer chamfer dying into jambs with nook- shafts, and inner orders on octagonal shafts (partly restored to north) with moulded capitals and water-holding bases on tall square pedestals. Chancel has wide chamfered 4-centred arch to north chapel (now organ chamber/vestry) on heavy octagonal responds (that to west restored) with moulded capitals and bases. Above, to west, is an exposed section of a C12 round-headed window arch. Round-headed window to north side of chancel (now in vestry). Important fragment of decorated Anglo-Scandinavian cross shaft or monument, reset in west bay of nave arcade. Coarsely-carved, with interlace to east side, bold interlaced serpents to north face, and complex south face with a pair of flying dragons and sun-wheel above 2 figures in profile addressing each other, and a figure on horseback with a sack (?) behind, and a runic inscription below, probably translatable as LIC BAECUN, "memorial stone". Small inscribed brass wall plate on south side of nave to Stovin children of c1784. C19 carved octagonal font, late C19 stained glass to nave and north aisle. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, pp 223-4; J Fowler, "Notes on the Discovery of a Shaft of a Stone Cross, with a Runic Inscription, at Crowle Church, Lincolnshire", Prodeedings of the Society of Antiquaries of London, second series, vol 4, 1868, pp 187-90; R I Page, An Introduction to English Runes, 1973, p 140, pp 145-146; drawing by C Nattes, 1794, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library; photographs in NMR.
Listing NGR: SE7715612984
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Page, R I , An Introduction to English Runes, (1973), 145-146
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 223-224
'Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of London' in Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of London, , Vol. 4, (1868), 187-190
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing