CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1346835
Date first listed:
06-Nov-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, TEMPERANCE AVENUE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1346835.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 04:35:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, TEMPERANCE AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Messingham
National Grid Reference:
SE 89033 04805

Details

SE 80 SE MESSINGHAM TEMPERANCE AVENUE (north side) 4/52 Church of the Holy - Trinity 6.11.67

GV II*

Church. C13 nave arcades, Cl4-C15 reset windows. Tower rebuilt late C18, remainder largely rebuilt 1818-21, with restorations 1890 and vestry of 1894. Coursed ironstone rubble with dressed stone band to rebuilt portions of tower, aisles and south porch. Ashlar dressings, slate roofs. West tower, 4-bay aisled nave with south porch and vestry adjoining north aisle, 2-bay chancel. 3-stage tower has chamfered plinth, quoins, west lancet to first stage, flat band, circular window, moulded string course, round-headed belfry openings and moulded cornice, coped battlements and crocketed finials. South aisle has quoins, 3-light square-headed windows with C19 tracery, a pointed west window with C19 intersecting tracery, dripmould and headstops, and an east door and 2-light square-headed window with Reticulated tracery; parapet and finials. North aisle has quoins, 2- and 3-light square headed windows with C19 tracery. Clerestory has triangular- headed 3-light windows on north side. Chancel has square-headed 2-light windows and a pointed 3-light past window with early Perpendicular tracery, dripmould and headstops. South porch has moulded pointed outer door and pointed double-chamfered inner door. Interior: north arcade has pointed double-chamfered arches on octagonal central pier, outer cylindrical piers, keeled east respond and filleted west repond. Later C13 south arcade has double-chamfered arches on filleted quatrefoil piers with keeled responds. Plain moulded capitals and bases throughout. C19 chancel arch, tower doorway and segmental-headed openings into south aisle. Decorated aumbry in chancel. Fragments of C14-C16 stained glass to east window and aisles. Monuments include: 1759 slate and ashlar wall tablet to Rev John Farrand with broken pediment, urn and carved cherub's head base; 1770 marble monument to Mary Farrand with coat of arms and urn on pediment, by J Wallis of Newark. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England; Lincolnshire, 1978, pp 315-6.

Listing NGR: SE8903304805

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
165752
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, John, H, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1964), 315-316

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01648/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Janet Roworth. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].