MANOR FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1346854
Date first listed:
19-Oct-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Oct-1985
Statutory Address:
MANOR FARMHOUSE, EAST HALTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MANOR FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1346854.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 15:56:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
MANOR FARMHOUSE, EAST HALTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
North Killingholme
National Grid Reference:
TA 14406 17669

Details

TA 11 NW NORTH KILLINGHOLME EAST HALTON ROAD (east side, off)

10/56 Manor Farmhouse (formerly listed as Manor 19.10.51 House)

GV II*

House. C16 east wing, C17 west wing. Late C19 porch, extensions and alterations. Brick. Pantile roof. L-shaped on plan: 2 or 3-room west front with blocked entrance to left of centre, 2-room east wing to rear left, representing part of earlier south front; later extensions to left return, and entrances to inner angle and rear gable end. West front: 2 storeys with attic, 5 bays. Chamfered ashlar-coped plinth. Blocked segmental-arched doorway with inserted C19 flush wooden cross-mullion window to left, 2 similar windows to right (that to 4th bay with chamfered mullion and transom), and blocked segmental-arched window to right end. Three- course brick first floor band with central cogged course. First floor has 4 segmental-arched windows: blocked to 1st bay with 3-sliding sash inserted below; 2-light casement to 2nd bay; 3-light sliding sash to 3rd bay; blocked to 4th bay; inserted 3-light sliding sash between bays 3 and 4; narrow segmental-arched blind panel to right end. All windows (except ground floor 3rd bay) have leaded panes. Stepped and corbelled brick eaves cornice above bays 1 and 2 with cavetto and ovolo-moulded bricks; cogged brick eaves cornice to right. Brick coped and tumbled gables. Stack to right of centre; C19-C20 rebuilt end stack to right. Right return has similar first floor band, 2 first floor casements (that to right with leaded lights), double-course brick second floor band with dentilled lower course, and 2- light attic sliding sash. South front: west range has 6-panel door to angle under a C19 lean-to porch, 2 cross-mullion ground floor windows, first floor band, two 3-light sliding sashes and cogged eaves cornice similar to west front. East wing has 3 similar cross-mullion windows to each floor, those to gound floor beneath original brick dripmoulds. First floor panel to left has 3 stone tablets engraved with shields, set in brick niches with moulded shafts, chamfered capitals and abaci, and moulded brick rounded-trefoil cusped arches with carved decoration in the spandrels. A similar panel to right has 2 stone tablets and rendered infill to right, but no moulded aches. A similar single panel section, flanked by columns and with a decorated trefoiled head, is re-set as a side window in the C19 Gothic-style gabled porch to the right gable end; another trefoiled head is incorporated in the opposite side window. Two massive lateral stacks to rear with C20 top sections, formerly with ornate shafts. Interior. East wing contains moulded ceiling beams, inner room with fine linen-fold panelling and overdoors carved with figures and grotesque heads, fielded-panel doors and window shutters. Interior not fully inspected. An important early brick manor house, standing in a complex of moats, partly disused and in decay at time of re-survey. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 326-7; Associated Architectural Societies Reports and Papers, 1907, vol 28, pt 1, 76-7.

Listing NGR: TA1440617669

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
165856
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 326-7
'Associated Architectural Societies Reports and Papers' in Associated Architectural Societies Reports and Papers, , Vol. 28, (1907), 76-77

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/05328/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Janet Tierney. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].