THE HARPENDEN METHODIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1346865
Date first listed:
29-Jan-1985
Statutory Address:
THE HARPENDEN METHODIST CHURCH, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE HARPENDEN METHODIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1346865.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 13:13:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE HARPENDEN METHODIST CHURCH, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
St. Albans (District Authority)
Parish:
Harpenden
National Grid Reference:
TL1345414297

Details

TL 1314 SW 16/50

HARPENDEN HIGH STREET (east side) The Harpenden Methodist Church

II

Church, church hall and offices. 1929 by A Brace. Long symmetrical frontage in neo-Tudor style. Stone facade; wings at each end in red brick with stone dressings. machine tile roof. 2 storeys. Gable-ended church is recessed in centre. Stepped buttresses either side. 4-light window with curvilinear tracery. Projecting ground floor has gabled porch with moulded arch. Small 2-light mullioned casements each side. Gable -ended wings either side have their front ground floors stepped forward slightly. Their front and side elevations have thin 2-light casements with slightly recessed mullions and transoms. The wings at each end have similar casements of 2-3 lights on the ground floor and single hipped eaves dormers with 4-light casements. They terminate in arch-headed openings with continuous stone mouldings. The interior of the church has a broad nave of G bays. Pointed wooden barrel vault. Pointed chamfered arches to the side elevations of the nave bays, changing to a 2-arch open arcade at the transepts. Semi-octagonal piers to the chancel arch. 3-arch arcade to the chancel walls and 3-light E window. The narrow aisles have cross arches at each bay and open into the nave through paired arches in each bay. (Pevsner (1977)).

Listing NGR: TL1345414297

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
164036
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].