CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1346882
Date first listed:
06-Nov-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1346882.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 19:09:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bonby
National Grid Reference:
TA0037215523

Details

BONBY CHURCH LANE HUMBERSIDE GLANFORD 2364 TA 01 NW (north side) 2/7 Church of Saint Andrew 6/11/67 - II* Parish church. C12 nave with C13 and C15 windows, C13 blocked north arcade and chancel arch, tower of 1710, C18 chancel. South door blocked, porch demolished and west door inserted first half C19. Restorations of 1894 by C H Fowler of Durham included new chancel windows, removal of nave gallery, exposure of arcade, re-roofing. Tower of red brick in Flemish bond on limestone base with sandstone ashlar dressings to door; nave of chalk rubble and squared blocks with brick gables, eaves cornice and facing to lower section of north and south walls (in English bond to south), limestone and ironstone ashlar dressings; chancel of brick, partly rendered to north and east. Pantile roofs throughout. West tower, 4-bay nave and 2-bay chancel organ chamber/vestry adjoining north side. 2-stage tower: moulded plinth, round-arched chamfered doorway with raised key and impost blocks; round- headed ashlar west window with raised key, timber cross mullion and leaded lights. Moulded string-course, stepped-in top stage with pairs of small round-headed belfry openings. Stepped and dentilled brick bands, rendered frieze and stepped and cogged brick eaves cornice. Low pyramidal roof with iron finial. Nave: chamfered plinth, quoins. South side has blocked round- arched brick doorway, 2 small lancets (one with restored head), pointed 2- light Y-traceried window with hood-mould. North side has 3 blocked pointed arcade arches with blocked inserted ogee-headed chamfered doorway flanked by square-headed 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery and hood-moulds. Chancel: C19 plinth, square-headed 3-light traceried south window, pointed 3-light traceried east window. Stepped and dentilled brick eaves cornice to nave and chancel; tumbled-in brick to nave west gable. Interior. Blocked round-arched ashlar south doorway; blocked segmental-pointed north doorway. 3 1/2 bays of blocked 4-bay north arcade: pointed double-chamfered arches on central cylindrical pier flanked by octagonal piers and octagonal west respond with plain moulded capitals. Piers bear traces of painted coursed masonry. Remains of chancel arch: octagonal south respond in situ with plain moulded capital; section of double-chamfered arch and former north respond re-set as opening to organ chamber at east end of nave. C19 pointed double-chamfered arch to organ chamber on north side of chancel with re-used east respond from former nave arcade. Font with C12-C13 chamfered square bowl on later base. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 194; drawing by C Nattes, 1796, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library.

Listing NGR: TA0037215523

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
165909
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 194

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/06614/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Eric Clow. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].