CHILDWICK BURY MANOR, INCLUDING FORMER STABLE RANGES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1347239

Date first listed: 19-Sep-1978

Statutory Address: CHILDWICK BURY MANOR, INCLUDING FORMER STABLE RANGES, HARPENDEN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHILDWICK BURY MANOR, INCLUDING FORMER STABLE RANGES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1347239 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 03:37:50.

Location

Statutory Address: CHILDWICK BURY MANOR, INCLUDING FORMER STABLE RANGES, HARPENDEN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: St. Albans (District Authority)

Parish: St. Michael

National Grid Reference: TL 13892 10224

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 11 SW ST MICHAEL HARPENDEN ROAD (west side) CHILDWICK BURY

5/278 Childwick Bury Manor, including former stable 19.9.78 ranges

GV II

Country house. Probably late C17 origin for Joshua Lomax. Altered C18. Redmodelled after 1854 for H. H. Toulman, additions after 1883 for Sir John Blundell Maple. Stucco on brick; polychrome brick c.1860 range on SE side. 2 and 3 storeys. NE (entrance) elevation is a 2-storey 1850s addition to the main block. Deep Doric porte cochere with paired outer columns. Either side are 3-light venetian sash windows. Balustrade. Pediment above porch. Canted billiard room addition on left. NW elevation is 3 storeys with 7 close-set sash windows. Ground floor French windows with entablatures. Either side are canted single storey French window bays. Moulded cornice at 2nd floor level. Banded pilasters to ends of elevation. Balustrades to main cornice and canted bays. SW elevation has the 2-storey c.1860 range attached to return. 3 eaves dormers with relieving arches to casements. 3 tall stacks. Courtyard elevation has the main range of a former late C18 stable group attached to rear of house. Red brick. Plain tile roof. Wood mutuled cornice. Ground floor with loggia of 8 Doric columns,the entablature with paterae and husk swags. Tall clock turret on ridge, an open octagonal turret with large wrought iron weathervane. Cemented quoins to angles of block. 3 sash windows on upper floor. Left and right are low C20 connectng loggias to late C18 formerly free standing side ranges, these altered in late C19, the SW range extended. NE range is better preserved and has central projecting bay with gauged brick arch, vitrified brick end piers and 2 arched windows between. Answering SW block has been heightened and continues in 1-2 storey range with gauged brick arches. Interior of house has, in hall behind porch, late C19 hand-painted Chinese wallpaper. Room behind right hand venetian window is top-lit by dome. Much late C19 detail. (C.L. 19.6.1909, RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL1389210224

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 163822

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing