CHURCH OF ST VINCENT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1347335
Date first listed:
27-May-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST VINCENT, CALDECOTE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST VINCENT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1347335.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 19:28:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST VINCENT, CALDECOTE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
North Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Newnham
National Grid Reference:
TL 24334 37637

Details

TL 23 NW NEWNHAM CALDECOTE ROAD (North east side) 3/133 Church of 27.5.68 St. Vincent

GV II*

Parish Church, some of nave walling possibly C12. Chancel rebuilt or lengthened early C13; S aisle and W tower c.1340 or earlier. 1420-40 repairs by John of Wheathampstead, Abbot of St. Albans, probably including E window, stair turret and S porch. Renovated 1881. Clunch rubble masonry with dressed stone visible on stair turret. Cement rendered with incised lines to imitate ashlar. Roof not visible, tiles on S porch. Nave: 3 bays. N wall has chamfered arched blocked entrance to right and to left a single square headed C15 window of two cinquefoiled lights - this the only window in the Church without a C19 label mould. Three square headed two light C15 clerestorey windows above. Similar S clerestorey. Chancel: N wall has two simple early C13 lancets. E window of C15 form: three lights below unusual tracery. S wall with small doorway between 2 windows of 2 trefoiled lights and pierced heads. S aisle: blocked window on E wall, 2 windows with C19 tracery on S wall. C15 two light window on W wall. S porch: C15 four centred arch entrance under a square head with mask label stops and moulded reveals, blank shields in quatrefoils in spandrels. 2 light trefoiled windows on E and W walls of porch. Tower: tall 2 light cinquefoiled window with pierced head under pointed arch to W wall. Four bell chamber 2 light trefoiled windows under square heads. Semi octagonal stair turret. Two stage angle buttresses to tower. Two stage diagonal buttresses on chancel and S aisle with similar straight buttresses to N wall and S aisle. Battle- mented parapet throughout over string course; chancel parapet added C19. Interior: chancel arch; two chamfered orders, no responds. S arcade has 4 bays with octagonal shafts, moulded bases and capitals, pointed arches of two chamfered orders. Tower arch with similar details plus label. N and S walls of tower carried on arches springing from W wall and return of tower arch. Door to stair turret in SE corner of tower. Chamfered arch entrance from S aisle to S porch under segmental rear arch. Plank door with two wrought iron strap hinges in situ, probably C15. S porch roof with C15 roof timbers; moulded principals, purlins and collars, brattished cornices with timber carved angels to E and W. Remains of wall paintings survive on N wall: late C15 St. Christopher opposite entrance. Fragments of wheel design to right. To E of eastern nave window a hooded figure; also a consecration cross of unusual form on SE face of stair turret. C15 octagonal font at W end of nave with panels of cusped quatrefoils enclosing blank shields on bowl and cinquefoil headed panels on shaft. Some quarries of C15 glass in W window of S aisle and in S clerestorey. Two brass memorials at E end of chancel. (VCH 1923. Pevsner 1977. E. Clive Rouse The Newnham Murals 1963).

Listing NGR: TL2433437637

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
162265
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1923)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
Rouse, E C, The Newnham Murals, (1963)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/07166/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Wharton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].