BREACHWOOD GREEN BAPTIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1347430
Date first listed:
08-Feb-1988
Statutory Address:
BREACHWOOD GREEN BAPTIST CHURCH, CHAPEL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BREACHWOOD GREEN BAPTIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1347430.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 13:40:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
BREACHWOOD GREEN BAPTIST CHURCH, CHAPEL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
North Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
King's Walden
National Grid Reference:
TL 15083 21958

Details

TL 12 SE KINGS WALDEN CHAPEL ROAD (East side) Breachwood Green

4/4 Breachwood Green Baptist Church

GV II

Baptist church. 1904 by Geo Baines & Son of London, Mallett & Wood builders Luton. Red brick banded with white brick, cream terracotta traceried windows, caps to piers and moulded copings. A tall 2-storeys building in a free Arts and Crafts Perpendicular style, with shallow W part, 4 windows long narrower nave, and one window long lower E part. Adjoining on E 2-storeys 4 windows long plum brick plainer building of 1897 with engraved memorial plaques to its building. W front gabled with very large 7 lights window with ogee traceried head under moulded segmental arch with drip and leaf stops. Twin double doors below up 2 steps, segmental traceried heads to each with moulded drip carried up to shield-shaped finial. Large leaf stops. Splayed brick jambs and half-glazed panelled doors. Bold tapering buttresses flank front and have lower hipped roofed square stair turrets to each side. Buttresses have panelled head, wide overhanging bracketed cornice, swept pointed lead caps and tall wrought iron finials of a standard type supporting a circle with tendril brackets. Moulded terracotta crochet finial to gable. Roofs of stair turrets and body of church have deep overhang with moulded rafter ends painted white projecting beyond gutter. Stained glass to W window and fanlights. Windows to nave at 2 levels in moulded terracotta, 3-lights cinquefoil under flat head to 1st floor: 3-lights with cinquefoil heads and ogee tracery under segmental heads to ground floor. Interior: galleried on 3 sides and choir gallery at E with organ with pointed arched recess on bold foliate corbels. Central pulpit and railed foredeck. Posts to this taper to top with wide moulded square caps. Ironwork tendril balusters with beaten copper hearts. Gallery posts similarly tapered with bold square caps and arcaded panelling pierced below rail. 5 arched trusses with tie rods. All windows Art Nouveau stained glass features in cathedral glass field. Heart shape cut in pew ends. Under N gallery 'Bunyan's Pulpit 1658' (in ink on back). Square C17 oak with moulded plank door on preacher's left, shelf, horizontal moulded plank front, seat-shelf within and moulded square knob finial to rear LH corner on which door is hung by butterfly hinges. Formerly in use at Coleman's Green where this church was founded. Doors with stained glass panels and copper push plates with repouse hearts. (Pevsner (1977)219).

Listing NGR: TL1508321958

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
162796
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 219

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/14063/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].