STANDON LORDSHIP WEST, AND STANDON LORDSHIP EAST (ON WEST BACK OF RIVER RIB 1 KILOMETRE SOUTH OF STANDON VILLAGE)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1347501
Date first listed:
04-Dec-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
23-Nov-1983
Statutory Address:
STANDON LORDSHIP WEST, AND STANDON LORDSHIP EAST (ON WEST BACK OF RIVER RIB 1 KILOMETRE SOUTH OF STANDON VILLAGE), BARWICK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of STANDON LORDSHIP WEST, AND STANDON LORDSHIP EAST (ON WEST BACK OF RIVER RIB 1 KILOMETRE SOUTH OF STANDON VILLAGE)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1347501 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 05:24:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
STANDON LORDSHIP WEST, AND STANDON LORDSHIP EAST (ON WEST BACK OF RIVER RIB 1 KILOMETRE SOUTH OF STANDON VILLAGE), BARWICK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Standon
National Grid Reference:
TL 39257 21444

Details

TL 32 SE STANDON BARWICK ROAD (east side)

1/23 Standon Lordship west, and Standon Lordship east (on 4.12.51 W back of River Rib 1 km S of Standon village) (formerly listed as Standon Lordship GV Manor House) II*

Country house, now 2 houses. 1540-46 for Sir Ralph Sadleir (strapwork stone plaque with '1546' next entrance), fragmentary remains of Tudor courtyard house extended c1872 by John Thorpe for 2nd Duke of Wellington, extensively renovated after fire of 1927. Red brick with remains of diaper work and traces of plastered surrounds of window openings. C19 half-timbering at rear with diagonal red brick nogging. Old red tiled roofs. The present building incorporates the W range, gateway arch and other fragments of an important C16 courtyard house where Queen Elizabeth spent 3 days in 1561 (EHA Trans. II 1905-7, 89). Remarkable arrangement of 4 newel staircases in semi-octagonal turrets flanking the entrance gateway. Lower courses of 2 turrets remain at front, one capped off, one with a bay window, on right. Wide 4-centred archway of 3 moulded orders with dripmould, all with remains of plaster facing. The part to the right of the archway, of 2 storeys and attics, is original with 2 gables having moulded brick copings and the stumps of former pinnacles, and original chimneys with tall diagonal shafts. To the left of the archway (Standon Lordship East) a carefully detailed C19 building has been built in old materials on the old footings of the west range and NW turret. Mullioned timber windows in rectangular openings. Stone reset in SE wing with 'RS 1546'. Remains of N, E and S ranges in garden with semi- underground service rooms to hall in S range blocked up with hollow chamfered openings. Interior said to have several stone moulded fireplaces with carved spandrels and 4-centred arched openings. (Buckler drawing of 1834 in HRO, RCHM (1911) 208, RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL3925721444

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
160998
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].