PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN (CHURCH OF ENGLAND)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1347516
Date first listed:
22-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN (CHURCH OF ENGLAND), CHURCH END

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN (CHURCH OF ENGLAND)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1347516 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Jun-2019 at 09:31:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN (CHURCH OF ENGLAND), CHURCH END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Braughing
National Grid Reference:
TL 39619 25204

Details

Braughing village TL 3925 BRAUGHING CHURCH END (east side)

9/29 Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin (C of E) 22.2.67

GV I

Church. Early C13 chancel (consecrated 1220); early C15 nave, aisles, S porch and W tower; NE mortuary chapel 1638 for Simeon Brograve; restorations: 1838 (nave roof), 1852-3 by Mr Savill (tower and spire), 1855-61 (porch, clerestorey and windows), 1866 by Mr Perry (S aisle), 1872-3 (chancel refaced, nave roof repaired, and tower arch opened); thorough restoration completed 1888 by Edmund Buckle. Flint rubble faced in coursed field flints with stone dressings. NE chapel in red brick, English- bond, with plastered brick windows. Old red tile chancel roof, slate roof to nave, small copper spire with vane, metal roofs to aisles and NE chapel. Battlemented parapets to nave, rood-stair turret, tower, and S porch. Square ended chancel with lancet windows, C15 chancel arch of 2 splayed orders, and scissor-braced collar-rafter roof. Aisled nave with 4-bay arcades (re-used from earlier arcade-Pevsner) and clerestorey, Perp aisle windows, rood loft turret stair at SE of nave, and fine C15 angel roof with plastered panels, moulded ribs and 2 bays at E elaborately traceried and coloured. 4-stage tall W tower with set-back buttresses, W door with traceried spandrels and niches on each side, 3-light window over, quatrefoil openings on NW and S in third stage; 2-light openings to bell stage, and C15 tower arch to nave of 3 moulded orders. 2-storey S porch with pinnacles and gabled buttresses, 2-centred arched doorway in square frame with traceried spandrels, 2-light side windows, and 2 large 2-light windows in upper part (floor removed). Fittings include: a Della Robia type roundel in S aisle, C15 buttressed oak benches, C!4 octagonal font in N aisle, and painted Royal Arms over S door. Monuments: brasses c1480 to man and woman in S aisle, Barbara Hauchett d.1561, and in the chancel a full frontal bust to Augustin Steward d.l597, large standing wall monument N of alter to John Brograve d.l625 and brother with reclining figures, columns and arches with carved spandrels, and large monument S of alter 1772 by James 'Athenian' Stuart carved by Thomas Scheemakers to Ralph Freeman of Hamels and family with marble sarcophagus and 3 double-portrait medallions. Slate sundial on porch renewed 1971. (RCHM (1911) 66-8: VCH (1912) 315-16: Kelly (1914) 71: Pevsner (1977) 108-9).

Listing NGR: TL3961925204

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
161172
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 315-316
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 108-9
'Kellys Directory' in Hertfordshire, (1914), 71
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].