Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY (CHURCH OF ENGLAND)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1347765.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 20:21:34.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 43895 32557



9/132 Church of St. Mary 22.2.67 (C of E)


Parish church. Early C12 nave, short transepts or portici added (or renewed) in C13, chancel c.1300, S porch c.1530, transepts destroyed in C16. Restoration 1877 with transepts rebuilt on old foundations and bellcote rebuilt over W end. Flint rubble with uncoursed flint facing and stone dressings of clunch, oolitic limestone and Barnack. Red brick porch. Steep old red tile roofs. Shingled bellcote with traceried stage over shingled base. A small unaisled church of nave, square ended chancel, small transepts, S porch and W bellcote. Chancel has 3-light pointed E window with original moulded inner jambs and arch but restored externally. 2-light N and S windows with square heads restored externally. On N wall of chancel monument to Robert Younge of 1626 (restored and painted 1979) in the form of a fluted column shaft above a classical base interrupted by a circular niche with a bust. Exceptional survival of a glazed tile pavement c.1300 with a radial design surrounding the alter in dark green and yellow glaze on stamped patterns and circular, quatrefoil and cinquefoil shapes. A corner shield bears the Monchensey arms, the family which held the manor at the end of the C13. The nave has a vigorous C19 open timber roof with arch braced collar trusses, one purlin to each slope tie-beams braced from wall posts on moulded stone corbels. 2-light C15 traceried S window and 2 C19 copies in N wall. E of windows are the 2-bay C13 arcades of church into the transepts. They have octagonal pillars and responds with moulded bases and caps, pointed arches in 2 orders with a deep hollow in a chamfer, and moulded labels with mask stops. The C12 S doorway has plain square jambs, simple grooved and hollow chamfered abaci and a round arch. It appears to have been reset in C16 brick work when porch was added. C14 W doorway in Barnack stone with pointed arch. Splendid elaborate early C16 red brick S porch with hollow chamfered plinth, diagonal buttresses with trefoil headed niches in each face and octagonal corner turrets with finials. Stepped embattled gable parapet with Tudor arched entrance of 2 moulded orders and hoodmould. Trefoil corbel table and tall central feature with niche in which is set a brick disc with a molet in relief. Original butt-purlin 1-bay roof with moulded cranked tie-beam. Font with panelled sides C17. (RCHM (1911)150: VCH (1914)80-1: Kelly (1914)185: Pevsner (1977)247).

Listing NGR: TL4389532557


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1914), 80-1
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 247
'Kellys Directory' in Hertfordshire, (1914), 185
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/04722/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Lin Tangui. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].