CHURCH OF SAINT WERBURG

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1347816
Date first listed:
12-Jul-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT WERBURG, BENT LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT WERBURG
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1347816.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 20:34:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT WERBURG, BENT LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Trafford (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Warburton
National Grid Reference:
SJ 70479 89152

Details

SJ 78 NE WARBURTON BENT LANE (east side)

6/174 Church of - Saint Werburg

G.V. II

Church. 1883-5.John Douglas for Mr. R. E. Egerton- Warburton. Snecked red sandstone and clay tile roof. Nave with north aisle and south porch; chancel and north-east tower. 4 bay nave/aisle with moulded sill band, continuous hoodmoulds, overhanging eaves and steeply pitched roof with cusped statue niche above a arched doorway, otherwise the aisle has 2-light and the nave 3 and 4-light windows in each bay with free Perpendicular (or Decorated) tracery. No buttresses except for those to west, to chancel, and that which separates the nave and chancel which is of massive proportions, gableted, weathered and with a sundial mounted on one of the upper faces. The 3-bay chancel is similar in treatment except for a coped parapet. 3-stage tower with diagonal buttresses weathered several times; 2 2-light belfry openings in each face, enriched band, castellations and diagonally set corner pinnacles with crockets. Interior: nave arcade with octagonal columns and moulded capitals and bases. Arch-braced roof trusses and barrel roof to chancel. Font cover dated 1595 and oak chest from Old Saint Werburg's church (q.v.).

Listing NGR: SJ7047989152

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
212935
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/09663/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Patrick Norris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].