CHURCH OF ST PETER CHURCH OF ENGLAND

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1348000
Date first listed:
22-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER CHURCH OF ENGLAND, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER CHURCH OF ENGLAND
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1348000 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 14:42:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER CHURCH OF ENGLAND, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Buntingford
National Grid Reference:
TL 36307 29324

Details

TL 3629 BUNTINGFORD HIGH STREET (west side)

7/38 Church of St Peter (C of E) 22.2.67

GV I

Chapel of Ease, now a church. Circa 1615 (inscription stone with 'Domus Orationis 1615' on E gable) for vicar Dr Alexander Strange. Restored 1899-1900 by W A Pite renewing windows restoring W gallery and adding N porch, and vestry/heating chamber in SW angle. Red brick in English-bond with steep tiled roofs. An unusual Jacobean town preaching house in Greek cross form orientated with chancel and semi-circular apse at S and entrance under clock and bell at N. Gothic Survival style with tall moulded brick windows with blunt pointed heads in similar moulded arches recesses. 2 small pointed lights in upper W gable, gable parapets with moulded copings, finialled corbelled kneelers and squared apex finials, offset plinth, step-corbelled eaves, broad pilaster buttresses to apse alternating with pointed windows (heightened and refaced in 1900). Arched bellcote on N gable and later porch. Interior has flattened barrel-vaulted roof E-W, against which short similar vaulted roofs abutt to N and S. Timber ceiling renewed but original heavy cambered hollow- chamfered tie-beams remain with hollow-chamfered braces rising from wallposts on corbels, 2 to each arm of the church. Pointed arch of 2 chamfered orders into apse. Billet moulded cresting at wallplate all round church. Heavy ovolo-moulded beam at front of galley across W arm of church carried on 4 wooden Ionic columns (volutes orientated at right angles to beam), with tall pedestals one with strapwork carving on E face, another plain with housing for a bench end. Pentagonal font with moulded base, panelled stem and bowl decorated with arabesque ornament and bosses. Framed engraved brass plate with view of interior of chapel in 1622 during service inscribed to Alexander Strange who 'fecit hanc Capellam'. Large iron clock movement on wooden frame in E arm. (Layston Parish Mag XXX November 1900: RCHM (1911) 138-9: VCH (1914) 87: Kelly (1914) 74: Pevsner (1977) 117).

Listing NGR: TL3630729324

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
159778
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1914), 87
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 177
'Layston Parish Magazine' in Layston Parish Magazine, (1900)
'Kellys Directory' in Hertfordshire, (1914), 74
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/06617/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].