THE MRS ELIZABETH FULLER FREE SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1348086
Date first listed:
26-Aug-1952
Statutory Address:
THE MRS ELIZABETH FULLER FREE SCHOOL, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MRS ELIZABETH FULLER FREE SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1348086.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2019 at 03:03:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE MRS ELIZABETH FULLER FREE SCHOOL, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Watford (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 11073 96230

Details

TQ 1196 SW 10/50 5259

CHURCH STREET The Mrs Elizabeth Fuller Free School

26.8.52

II* GV

1704 school building. Brick with red brick and stone dressings. Two storeys and attic. Plain tile hipped roof surmounted by 6 sided cupola with lead dome. Two hipped dormers. Regular front. Three window range. Centre breaks forward with pediment. Wood dentil eaves cornice. Stone quoins to centre bay and outer angles. Stone band across. Stone central doorcase with moulded architrave and enriched segmental pediment on brackets. Inscription to Mrs Fuller in broad frieze below. Ten panel double doors. Large round-headed windows with gauged brick arches, wooden Y-tracery and leaded lights. Oval keyed window in pediment with ornamental stucco scroll beneath with MDCCIV in raised letters. Large ground floor single room with panelled dado, original panelling with pilastered arcade motif to East wall. Fine Circa 1600 fireplace surround with Ionic pilasters flanking 2 oval panels to over mantel. RCHM 139.12.

Listing NGR: TQ1107396230

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
158154
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/13496/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Sidell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].