Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
MONMOUTH HOUSE, 85, 87, 89 91, 93 AND 95, THE PARADE


Ordnance survey map of MONMOUTH HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1348115.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Feb-2020 at 21:15:11.


Statutory Address:
MONMOUTH HOUSE, 85, 87, 89 91, 93 AND 95, THE PARADE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Watford (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 10764 96731


THE PARADE 7/35 (east side)

Nos 85, 87, 89 91, 93 and 95 (Monmouth House)

The second sentence in part 2 should be amended to read:

'The northern half was entirely rebuilt 1927 by H Colbeck to match the southern half'.

------------------------------------ 1. 5259 THE PARADE (east side)

TQ 1096 NE 7/35 25.11.77 Nos 85,87,89

II 91,93,and 95 (Monmouth House) 2. Substantial early to mid C17 red brick house built for R Carey, Earl of Monmouth, died 1639. The northern half was entirely rebuilt 1927 to match the southern half, which was heavily restored. The rebuilt parts used bricks from Cassiobury House. Three storey range, 4 coped gables with parapets between. Eight window range to 1st floor, 4-windows to 2nd. Restored casement windows in segment arched openings. Three light windows to 1st floor and outer 2nd floor openings. Four light in centre windows. Brick string between 1st and 2nd floors. Modern ground floor. Two-gabled south end wall with 2 large chimney stacks, part rebuilt. To rear of this section short C19 wing. Interior of old section includes much restored C17 oak stair with moulded rail, turned balusters and square newels. Panelled entrance hall with key blocked arched surround to entry. Moulded oak fireplace to 2nd floor upper hall. Tie-beam-end- collar roof trusses with queen struts. Some panelled doors on this floor.

S Castle: Timber-framed buildings in Watford 1977 pp. 24-26.

Listing NGR: TQ1076496731


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Castle, S , Timber Framed Buildings in Watford, (1977), 24-26


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Jan 2004
Reference: IOE01/11546/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Jane Black. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].