CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1348158
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1983
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, LEMSFORD VILLAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1348158.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 20:01:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, LEMSFORD VILLAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Welwyn Hatfield (District Authority)
Parish:
Hatfield
National Grid Reference:
TL 21793 12007

Details

Lemsford TL 21 SW HATFIELD LEMSFORD VILLAGE (south-east side)

5/169 Church of St John the Evangelist -

GV II

Church. 1858-9 by David Brandon in Early English Gothic style. Rough-cut ashlar stone with smooth stone dressings. Westmoreland slate roofs. SE chapel added in 1930 for the Nall-Cain family by F E Howard in Perpendicular style. Nave has trefoil-headed single lancets with hood moulds, stepped buttresses and continuous moulded sill course. Parapeted gabled S porch. Two stage W tower has clasp buttresses, 2-light plate-tracery belfry opening and quatrefoil parapet. Large 5-light E window with intersecting geometric style tracery. SE chapel has 3 4-centred arch windows with cusped tracery and moulded, stepped buttresses. Moulded plinth and crenellated parapet. W door with crocketed ogeed arch is surmounted by an elaborate 2-light window. Interior has naturalistic leaf capitals. Stained glass to E window by Clayton and Bell 1874. Altar frontal in carved wood dated 1605. Rich lierne vaulting to chapel. Canopied tomb in luscious perpendicular style to Florence Nall-Cain (d. 1927). Altar reredos carved in wood and alabaster. (Pevsner (1977)).

Listing NGR: TL2179312007

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
158432
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Feb 2004
Reference: IOE01/11527/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Warwick. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].