CHURCH END COTTAGES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1348247
Date first listed:
03-Oct-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH END COTTAGES, 1-6, CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1348247.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Mar-2021 at 22:27:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH END COTTAGES, 1-6, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Three Rivers (District Authority)
Parish:
Sarratt
National Grid Reference:
TQ 03909 98373

Details

TQ 09 NW SARRATT CHURCH LANE (Southeast side) Church End 5/276 Nos. 1-6 (consecutive) Church End Cottages GV II

Row of 6 dwellings, formerly almshouses. 'These Houses were new built by Mr. Ralph Day of Sarratt Hall, Anno 1821' on datestone to centre front on first floor. Red brick, roughcast right return. Tiled roof. 2 storeys. 1 window and entrance to each. Pointed heads to all openings. Inner paired and single end entrances. C20 timber casements. Moulded plinth. Dentilled brick eaves. Sun Fire Insurance marker. c.1860-70 posting box between 2 right hand houses. 3 cross axial ridge stacks with oversailing caps. Single iron casement in left return. Lean-to outshut to rear. C20 tilehung dormers inserted to rear. Cambered heads to rear door and casements. Interior not inspected. These almshouses replaced an earlier foundation by J. Baldwin in 1550. (Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TQ0390998373

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
158920
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/16357/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr K W Newland. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].