CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1348319
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1348319.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:28:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Wyre Forest (District Authority)
Parish:
Wolverley and Cookley
National Grid Reference:
SO 82888 79317

Details

WOLVERLEY & COOKLEY CP WOLVERLEY SO 87 NW 6/153 Church of St John the Baptist 25.2.58 GV II* Parish church. 1772, with some late C19 alterations. Brick with hipped tile roof. West tower, nave and chancel. West tower: two stages divided by a dentilled brick string, lower part quoined; crenellated parapet and dentilled brick cornice. Belfry stage has deep semi-circular headed recesses containing semi-circular headed louvred openings. Nave: crenellated parapet; five deep semi-circular headed recesses containing semi-circular headed windows. C19 timber porch in second bay from left. Chancel of three bays, to the left bay a vestry, other two with windows as nave. East window has similar, larger window, with three C19 ashlar lights. Interior: aisles formed within nave by five bay arcades with semi-circular arches. Aisles have modillioned cornices. Gallery to west end and over aisles has panelled front. Chancel arch semi- circular. Font in Gothick style. C14 recumbent stone effigy of a knight at south-east corner of nave. A series of good wall tablets of late C18 to early C19 date in aisles and chancel, including Helen Knight died 1801 by Flaxman in chancel. (BoE, p 291).

Listing NGR: SO8288879317

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
157145
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 291

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/10858/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Burrows. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].