PRIORY GATEHOUSE, INCLUDING EAST BAY OF GATEHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1348693
Date first listed:
25-Mar-1970
Statutory Address:
PRIORY GATEHOUSE, INCLUDING EAST BAY OF GATEHOUSE, THE SQUARE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1348693.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2021 at 18:40:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
PRIORY GATEHOUSE, INCLUDING EAST BAY OF GATEHOUSE, THE SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
South Lakeland (District Authority)
Parish:
Lower Allithwaite
National Grid Reference:
SD 37822 78787

Details

LOWER ALLITHWAITE THE SQUARE SD 3778 (North side) Cartmel 8/92 Priory Gatehouse, 25.3.70 including east bay of Gatehouse (q.v.) II* Former Priory gatehouse, now exhibition hall, part incorporated into Gatehouse (q.v.). Probably C14, converted to school 1624 (date of gable-end windows). Stone rubble with ashlar dressings and slate roof. 4-storey rectangular structure with stair turret to east and vaulted passage to Cavendish St. South facade has chamfered archway and top frieze. To left of archway a. small-paned bow window with small-paned casement to 1st floor, part of cottage. 2nd floor has 2-light single-chamfered-mullioned window with cusped pointed heads. Niche over archway has straight head and moulded surround. North facade has 2-light window as above but with transom, and 3 slots. Returns have cusped lights, gables have 4-light single chamfered mullioned windows with 2 upper lights over transoms, that to east is C20 reconstruction. Passage way has groin vault to south, tunnel vault to north. West side of passage has 2 entrances, one with ogee head; large window to left has small-paned fixed glazing with opening light. East side has entrance to exhibition hall. Interior: Winding stair round rubble newel to 2nd and 3rd floors, the 3rd floor removed with entrance and wide ledge in thickness of wall remaining. Collar rafter roof, some lower collars. 2nd floor entrance has ogee head with 6-panel door; niche to left has cusped ogee head. 2-light windows have window seats. North side has store in thickness of wall with wide-boarded door. West side has fireplace with elements of medieval masonry including corbel heads; entrance to small room to left has 2-fielded-panel door. The Gatehouse is the only secular building of Cartmel priory to remain; it was used as a school 1624-1790. Property of the National Trust.

Listing NGR: SD3782178789

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
77006
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/02700/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr CJ Wright. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email EnrichingTheList[email protected].