CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1348832
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1348832.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 21:02:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Ewyas Harold
National Grid Reference:
SO 38767 28754

Details

EWYAS HAROLD CP EWYAS HAROLD SO 32 NE 4/5 Church of St Michael and All Angels 26.1.67 GV II

Parish Church. Mid-C13 west tower restored in 1899; c1300 chancel but extensively altered, nave and chancel arch rebuilt and south porch and north vestry added in 1868 by G C Hadley. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, C20 tiled roofs. West tower, nave with south porch and chancel with north vestry. Mid-C13 West tower of three stages on splayed plinth with moulded capping, pyramidal roof and string course at upper stage; staircase extension to south-west; 3-light window to vestry with detached shafts to jambs and to mullions and moulded capitals and bases, similar shafts to the outer order; similar 2-light windows with plain chamfered outer order to east and north sides. Small light possibly originally with trefoiled-head, and larger 2-light window with pierced 2-centred head and chamfered label below. Two centred-arched head to doorway on ground floor to south; continuous chamfer to outer order with moulded stops and inner chamfered order springing from semi-circular responds with moulded capitals and 'water holding' bases. The capping of the plinth continues over the doorway as a label; loop vents to stair extension to left of doorway. There are no openings to the west side of the tower. C19 Nave one single lancet to left and two 2-light windows with quatrefoil in roundel above to right of doorway; gabled C19 timber-framed porch, inner 2-centred arched head to doorway with moulded outer order. Chancel C13 lancets flank restored early C14 central window with 2-centred arched head; two trefoil headed lights with quatrefoil above. C19 east window of 3 lights with central roundel and cinquefoil, all under a decorative slightly projecting gable. Interior: C19 tower and chancel arches, repaired and considerably restored possibly C14 trussed rafter roof to nave and chancel. Monument in north wall of chancel; early C14 recess with moulded segmental pointed arch, attached shafts to jambs and decorative cusping. Effigy of reclining female figure in contemporary C14 dress with draped head-dress and wimple and clasping an object (possibly a heart), her feet rest on a crouching lion(?). Reputed to be that of Lady Clarissa, daughter of John Tregor, Lord of Ewias, died 1290. Fittings fragments of C17 pulpit, 2 sides section C19 base, carved panels with interlacing folial motif. Fragments of C18 dado panelling in chancel, some pieces with decorative detail. (RCHM Vol I, p 62; BoE p 128.)

Listing NGR: SO3876728754

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
155539
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire I South West, (1931), 128

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/03809/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Norman Wigg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].