CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1348834
Date first listed:
20-May-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1348834.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 05:27:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Kentchurch
National Grid Reference:
SO 41946 25651

Details

KENTCHURCH CP - SO 42 NW 5/10 Church of St Mary

GV II

Parish church. Rebuilt in 1859 in Decorated style. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings; tiled roof. West tower with truncated pyramidal roof and spire; nave with south porch and chancel with north chapel and vestry. West tower: three stages with plinth and stepped buttresses, lancet to second stage, cusped bell openings below spire. Nave with large 3-light window with two-centred head and flower tracery to right of gabled porch. Chancel to right with square headed windows of three and two lights with similar tracery; 3-light windows to east end with mouchettes. Interior retains the Scudamore monument re-sited in the north chapel. Commemorates John Scudamore, died 1616, and erected by his wife, Amy Starkie. Reclining alabaster effigies of man in armour holding a book and below of a woman in contemporary dress wearing a widow's veil; flanking the two reclining figures are smaller paired figures of kneeling children, eight sons and one daughter, and also of an infant in a cradle. Inscription flanked by shields of arms reads: "HERE LYETH THE BODY OF JOHN SCVDAMORE OF KENCHVRCH IN THE COVNTIE OF HEREFORD ESQ ..... .... HE DECEASED ON THE XXXth DAY OF MARCH ANNO SALVTIS 1616."

Listing NGR: SO4194625651

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
155544
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00351/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gary Were. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].