CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1349008
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1349008.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 00:20:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Kings Caple
National Grid Reference:
SO5589228843

Details

SO 52 NE; 3/44

KINGS CAPLE CP, KINGS CAPLE

Church of St John the Baptist

25.02.66

GV

I

Parish church. C13 nave; west tower early C14; chancel rebuilt and top stage of tower added late C14, Aramstone chapel and south porch c1400. Restored 1894 and further C20 alterations to interior. Sandstone rubble, ashlar dressings, slate roofs. West tower, nave with south porch and north Aramstone chapel, chancel.

West tower: four stages with moulded string courses and plain band with square corbels below between third stage and later fourth stage, embattled parapet, octagonal spire with roll mouldings at angles; small doorway with 2-centred arched head to ground stage, square- headed loop vents to second and third stage, two trefoil-headed lights and tracery to bell stage. Nave: two trefoil-headed lights with further decorative cusping in spandrels to window to left, three windows to right; two cinquefoil- headed lights to western window, two trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil to central window and large window with gable and three trefoil-headed lights and tracery, all to right of south porch: moulded plinth and moulded parapet, square-headed surround to doorway with decorative spandrels, 2-centred arched head to opening with moulded jambs, vaulted ceiling with diagonal and ridge ribs, and carved rose central boss, two trefoil-headed lights to returns. Chancel: two trefoil-headed lights to left and two cinquefoil-headed lights to right of doorway.

INTERIOR: renewed roof to nave and chancel. Aramstone chapel with vaulted ceiling, diagonal and ridge ribs springing from moulded corbels, and bosses largely restored; chancel arch: two chamfered orders with square cut plain imposts to inner orders. Fittings: C18 gallery at west end now enclosed on ground floor by C20 wall, panelled front, staircase with moulded rail, square newels and turned balusters. C17 pulpit, four-sided with decorative panels; sounding board. Monuments: recess in south wall of nave, with traces of ballflower ornament and late C13 coffin slab in recess. In Aramstone chapel Thomas Marrett, 1725, wall tablet, marble fluted Doric pilasters flank inscription panel with Doric entablature surmounted by cartouche; many other monuments commemorating members of Woodhouse family. (RCHM, Vol II , p 95-96; BoE, p 204).

Listing NGR: SO5589228843

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
154303
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932), 95-96
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 204

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15502/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Tudhope. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].