TERRACES, RETAINING WALLS AND STEPS TO WEST, SOUTH AND EAST OF HAMCASTLE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1349297

Date first listed: 21-Sep-1984

Statutory Address: TERRACES, RETAINING WALLS AND STEPS TO WEST, SOUTH AND EAST OF HAMCASTLE FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of TERRACES, RETAINING WALLS AND STEPS TO WEST, SOUTH AND EAST OF HAMCASTLE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1349297 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 22:51:25.

Location

Statutory Address: TERRACES, RETAINING WALLS AND STEPS TO WEST, SOUTH AND EAST OF HAMCASTLE FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Worcestershire

District: Malvern Hills (District Authority)

Parish: Clifton upon Teme

National Grid Reference: SO 73458 61769

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 76 SW CLIFTON UPON TEME -

2/5 Terraces, retaining walls and steps to west, south - and east of Hamcastle Farmhouse

GV II

Terraces with retaining walls. Probably C17 in origin, remodelled mid C19. Rubble with brick repairs and buttresses. South wall about 65 metres long and impressively high with secondary terrace below (also included); returned 40 metres to west in rubble with a rebuilt pyramidally roofed pavilion (also included) at the midpoint; returned about 35 metres to east in brick with secondary terrace and a large T-plan flight of steps (also included) down to lawn at the north end. The farmhouse (not included) was rebuilt after a fire in 1887. The motte and bailey castle about 200 metres to the north is a scheduled ancient monument (VCH 4, pp 246/7).

Listing NGR: SO7345861769

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 151538

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1924), 246-7

End of official listing